Landy's First Nano Tank

Reaction score
Hey this is really great I really appreciate the diy in budget stuff you have done great bloody job.
I’ve been in the same tight budget boat my tank is still bear bottom, running RGB LEDS from China mall, using salt shakers and plastic containers to make my skimmer, my pumps and wave makers are eBay cheapies but hey we 6 months still running smooth and my few corals grow. I wish we were closer coz I’d gladly give you some zoas and one or two other pieces. You must post in the wanted form, even if it’s for a few heads.

Could I ask you a massive favor, could you compare the difference between a single za1201L Vs both running on your tank. Even post a pic if you could. Ive been eying those units out and I may be able to get one end of this month and my system is a very similar size. Would 1 not be sufficient? What made you get two?

Reaction score
Hey this is really great I really appreciate the diy in budget stuff you have done great bloody job.
I’ve been in the same tight budget boat my tank is still bear bottom, running RGB LEDS from China mall, using salt shakers and plastic containers to make my skimmer, my pumps and wave makers are eBay cheapies but hey we 6 months still running smooth and my few corals grow. I wish we were closer coz I’d gladly give you some zoas and one or two other pieces. You must post in the wanted form, even if it’s for a few heads.

Could I ask you a massive favor, could you compare the difference between a single za1201L Vs both running on your tank. Even post a pic if you could. Ive been eying those units out and I may be able to get one end of this month and my system is a very similar size. Would 1 not be sufficient? What made you get two?
Thanks! I got two lights because of the length of my tank. The lights only cover and area of 40 x 40 and roughly are effective to a depth of of 45cm. Two would just make it cover the correct area due to my tank being 60cms in length and also the two lights together make it fine for some low light (referring to low light on the sps light range) sps even.

Wetty

Tuned by Tunze, turboed by Red Sea
Reaction score
In regards to adding a sump, get a hangon overflow. Theres a few on the market of various sizes.

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

So I finally got something I have been searching for for a long time and I finally had a bit of money to spend on livestock! I finally got a Green Bubble Tip Anemone for my tank!

20180914_180130.jpg

Went in about 20 minutes ago after an hour and a half drip acclimate. This photo was taken when I found out I can stick my S9 into my tank and take photos. Hopefully by the time he gets bigger I will have a functioning 350l tank! (opened a savings account just for it)

Reaction score
Hey all

Thought I might do an update as I haven't updated anything in a while. Mainly because my tank looked disgusting as I had a terrible algae outbreak which was a pain to treat as I was away on holiday for three weeks. I started dosing Nyos Zero and took the stupid filter cartridges out of my HOB Filter and filled the finger with De-Nitrate, a PhosBond sachet and a MatrixCarbon sachet. It's only been a week and the tank is ten times clearer and the algae has ceased to grow. When I got back my nitrates were 50 and Phosphates were at 2 (I know, yikes).

Before I left nitrates were at 75 and I unfortunately lost my sea urchin due to the nitrate levels :( but even in the last week the colours of the corals improved drastically.

Some things that happened on my holiday:

1) The one light malfunctioned and stayed on 24/7 for 2 weeks which caused a lot of algae to to grow on half of the tank.
2) The Algae growth blocked the wavemaker and burnt the engine out on the 31st of December.
3) I had to get someone to rush in to try fix it and she ended up having to throw in a large airstone to create some kind of flow, which saved the tank even though it was all that we could do.

I got home and got a decent wavemaker and they're loving it. But it was quite a hectic and stressful holiday

Tank today:
20190111_131706.jpg

I also built a little arduino to regulate the temperature of the tank. It just turns the heaters and the fans on and off.

RiaanP

Reaction score
All that surely did not help you to relax while on holiday as you should have.

Tank looks in good shape regardless of everything going wrong.

Reaction score
I've got some purple mushrooms splitting from the shell i got it on if you're ever in the southern suburbs.have about 4/5 attached to pieces of rubble

Reaction score
I must say I'm really happy with my tank after the holiday and green hair algae disasters. All the algae has disappeared, my tank once again has a strong population of copepods on the glass that disappeared almost completely in the last 3 months. AND MY MISSING HERMIT CRAB (the one in my profile) HAS REAPPEARED:thumbup:

Reaction score
Just fragged my toadstool as it needed a serious trimming. Got a whole bunch of small frags now. I love fragging these because in two months they'll already have beautiful stems! I ran out of frag plugs so I had to attached two to rubble.
20190127_172940.jpg