Landy's First Nano Tank

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by VehanLandy, 5 Jun 2018.

1. VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Hey guys

I decided I might share my nano tank that I started 2 months ago. This is my first ever marine tank, so I must say it was set up and stocked to capacity very quickly. But it's doing very well except for a little hiccup with my fish getting ich from my poor Pajama Cardinal from a store which I shall not name. But it's probably my fault for not quarantining him. The fish have been in quarantine for about 25 days now and have finished their cupramine treatment, but shall remain in quarantine until the Ich is gone from my display tank.

Otherwise my tank is thriving. It's a 60 litre nano and from now on I shall post updates on here. And if anyone can give advice on it if they want that would help a lot because I'm very new to this. Just some details on my tank to follow.

Livestock:
    2 x Hybrid Clownfish. They're 5 months old so they're both still males and have been dubbed Thor and Loki. Currently in QT.
    1 x Pajama Cardinal. Has been dubbed Heimdall. Also in QT.
    1 x Fire Shrimp. (Tony)
    1 x Blue Legged Hermit Crab (Basil)
    1 x Dwarf Red Tipped Hermit Crab (Eugene)
    Various snails.

Corals (even though they also fall under live stock technically)
    1 x Hairy Green Mushroom. (Well, not one, but one rock with a few heads)
    1 x Toadstool Leather.
    1 x Newly added Torch Coral.

Equipment:
    Bubble Magus QQ1 Hang-on Protein Skimmer.
    Boyu WF-2035 Bio-Filter.
    Sunsun JVP-110 Wavemaker.
    DoPhin 100W Submersible Heater.
    Custom build lighting with a combination of LED's in the hood with dimmer and an analogue timer.

I really don't think the lights are enough so I'm soon going to be getting two Zetlight 1201-L LED's for the tank. Being a student this tank was started on an extreme budget. But yeah, I love it and it's my first one. Here are some pictures.

15281989963415381032965304828609.jpg
    15281990785326873215597708404527.jpg 15281991385042405642835904070995.jpg

Keshen likes this.
  2. Guest

3. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Very nice ,I would consider taking the torch of the bottom, it hate sand getting into it. The clowns have a knack for doing that.

SmellLikeFish likes this.
  4. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Thanks! I've just put em there for now so that it doesn't get shocked by the light. The clowns shouldn't be a problem as they're still in QT and will be there for at least another month.

r0ckf1re likes this.
  5. SaltyG

SaltyG

Nice little setup bud!!You are not running a sump??If you dit you could hide the heater in the sump.Bigger volume as well.Keep the pics rolling!!

6. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Thanks! Yeah the tank is quite messy with the skimmer, filter and heater in the display. I don't like it like that, but I honestly wouldn't know how to set up a sump. I'd really like one, but how big would it need to be for a tank that's only 60l? and it's a bit too late to be making holes in the tank, so how would I get the water to go to the sump and get back? Advice would be great because I think things would like amazing with a sump. Less clutter in the display.

7. SaltyG

SaltyG

That's correct.You can still add a sump that is the same size as your tank.Double the volume of water.You can put your skimmer and heater and all things that clutter in the sump area and also run other filtration.there are some people that are very good at DIY . Maybe someone can help you out with some ideas on adding an overflow of some sort without having to disrupt the tank.Maybe start a thread in the DIY section to get some answers.

8. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Thanks! Appreciate the advice

9. anonymone

anonymone

Really nice work so far. I'll be following ur thread with interest as a fellow nano/pico reefer.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Pull up the heater a bit more, the top of it above the water. They last longer then. Those heaters normally fail when water eventually seeps in around that small dial pin. Pin and the spot the electrical cable goes in must be above the water.

11. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Just an update of my tank:
    20180718_133628.jpg

New stuff:
    • 2 UPS's, one for the heater and the other for the wavemaker and an airstone if I'm on holiday.
    • New cabinet with food, supplements and testing kits in.
    • Auto-top off made from float valve and small pump (R500 total)
    • And my biggest upgrade is 2 x Zetlight 1201-L. The corals are loving this light.
    • Also got a TDS meter and PH Pen.
    • Screen Net Cover.
    I'm loving these lights and this little cabinet that I picked up for R350 brand new.

IMG-20180717-WA0010.jpeg

Keshen likes this.
  12. ReeferB28

ReeferB28

Tank looking great tell me how's the maintenance on the tank?

13. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Thanks! The maintenance is super chilled. I'll do a 20% water change every Saturday. The protein skimmer gets a decent clean in vineger every 2 months. I think because it's a HOB skimmer, the impeller gets dirty easily. When it comes to testing, the main thing I test is calcium because mine was pretty high and I was getting some precipitation. But it's not much of a worry. I stopped testing for ammonia and nitrites very frequently unless I notice something off. I used to test for ammonia every 3 days and there was never a reading once I added my livestock. I also don't add any supplements anymore as my tank runs on natural seawater from the Two Oceans Aquarium (and the stuff is great, my corals are thriving). The only other things I'll test once every two weeks are pH and Alkalinity. But they never fluctuate either. PH is always at 8.2 and alkalinity generally at 10 dkh. With a nano, I expected more fluctuations. Feeding a mixture of frozen brine, mysis and flakes once every two days. I generally target feed and then spray a small bit everywhere for the shrimp and hermits. I think I mentioned everything.

ReeferB28 likes this.
  14. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

I really do wanna start getting more corals, but damn, starting a reef tank as a student is a bad idea. I have no money for corals.

15. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Close-up of the tank:
    20180718_174710.jpg
    The toadstool and the torch coral have really grown since the previous pictures.

viper357 likes this.
  16. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

New Member of the Family!
    20180719_093459.jpg
    Also added some more snails. I thought it might help regulate the population of collonista snails in my tank if there were more snails to compete for food. And there's a big spot of algae on the glass on the one side that doesn't wanna wash off and that the other two snails are ignoring.

17. TheNewReefer82

TheNewReefer82

Awesome looking Tank, Love the torch you have!!:m16: Why do you have that plastic fresh water ship display in the tank though...?

18. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Thanks! Funny you asked, I actually took it out an hour ago. So as a newbie, I bought a whole bunch of decorations. I started removing them, but my fire shrimp claimed the rear end of the ship as his home and every time I tried to remove it he would not let go. But yesterday I added a cleaner shrimp and I was getting worried the fire shrimp would harass my cleaner shrimp as the tank is quite small. So I sold the fire shrimp an hour ago and I was able to remove the ship. So yay! All natural now.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2018
    SFlow likes this.
  19. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

If anybody every feels like their tank just has too many corals, this poor reefer will gladly lessen the burden :m23:

20. drab808

drab808

How does this ATO turn the pump on and off? Is it just a pump constantly pumping and a float valve on the end?

21. OP
    VehanLandy

VehanLandy

Yep, it just pumps the whole time, but it has two nozzles and if it isn't pump into the tank, it will just circulate the water in the reservoir.

Recent Posts