kyle's Newborn Tank

Reaction score
Hello all, after much shyness I thought I should post pics of my tank, and give you a little more info, so here goes!!

I bought the tank second hand from a member on masa... quite happy with the tank overrall , but I know it has a long long wat to go before it reaches it prime!!
I know the sump is a little small, so I am in the process of adding another one to the existing one to increase the overrall size of the DSB in the adjacent cupboard!

The tanks dimensions are:

DISPLAY

1414496782ed87c7a.jpg
  • Length = 1500mm
  • Width = 600mm
  • Height = 600mm;
So the display tank has a total volume of 500l.

SUMP

141449678423c3e69.jpg
  • Length = 600mm
  • Width = 460mm
  • Height = 390mm;
Don't really know the sump volume.

Have added a ts2 protein skimmer, rated up to 750l, which is on the wrong side (but it will be moved to the new sump.
Added some chaeto that Lanzo was so gracius to give me yesterday, floating on top of the DSB (not in the current photo)
Yes yes, there are the taboo ceramic rings and bio-balls, yes, they are coming out one handful at a time (on a weekly basis)...Just worried about all the life in there!!

Lighting is provided by two T5 units with 3 globes each!!

There are:
  • 1 X 15 000K Geisemann Aquablue
  • 2 X 12 000K White
  • 1 X Actinic
  • And I think there are two normal 10 000K T5's in the other remainder of the unit (as the globes came with the tank)
I have added about 20 kg's liverock and 20kg's bio - rock to the approximately between 10 and 15 kg's that was in the tank

There are one or two concerns I have, if you notice in the, back glass has some, what I think is hair algae (which was present in the tank before), and I personally would prefer it would die!!!!
Being doing regular 10% water changes and want to get a phosphate reactor, but in the mean time is there any thing else i can do?

oh, oh, oh. on the a final note, the only reason the livestock is in there is because the tank is fully cycled and the fish were moved with the original saltwater they stayed in their previous home!!

I would like some suggestions as to optimal globe settings/ a good mixture of globes to eventually keep lps, softoes and maybe one VERY hardy sps (and no, I dont want metal halides, my mother said she would die first...lol, the whole industrial look doesnt exactly go with her "look")

ok that it for now, may i present my baby to the floor...Thank you MASA! U guys are really helpful, even after answering a question for the 70th time, you still take your time and give it your all...Ta!

Last edited:
Cool Kyle! Tank looks AWESOME so far! Great that you got an established system!

Just one thing concerns me - the ceramic noodles? I would just WANT to just suggest that you slowly remove it.... Over a period of a few weeks....

Looks good Kyle, your off to a good start.

The ceramic rings and bio-balls are going Jacques, he said so :whistling:

Yes yes, there are the taboo ceramic rings and bio-balls, yes, they are coming out one handful at a time (on a weekly basis)...Just worried about all the life in there!!

Yes, he did himself ;)

wow, thanks so much for the compliments....I love the way everybody slates the ceramic rings...quite funny actually...they are already in the process of coming out!!
Please please keep the consructive criticsm coming...I need all the help I can get!
Going to post parameters tomorrow!!
Thanks

wow, thanks so much for the compliments....I love the way everybody slates the ceramic rings...quite funny actually...they are already in the process of coming out!!
Please please keep the consructive criticsm coming...I need all the help I can get!
Going to post parameters tomorrow!!
Thanks

I saw it, I saw it :slayer:, and I corrected everyone :whistling:

sorry for that, in a good mood 2night :1:

Chuckle chuckle. Welcome Kyle. Wow great rig.

So now we know that rings get dirty.:) A general rule of thumb. Anything that needs cleaning other than the glass must come out.

welcometomasa
kyle, great setup, may it prosper and bring happiness

remember to keep us updated and if in doubt we are all here to help

Glad YOU in a good mood Tobes! WOW! Imagine us reefers all living in the same block or security housing... we will makes a HUGE raucous.....OFTEN!!!!

Yeah, don't think salt water and red wine mix well :79:

...but I'm sure most of us will do :1:

Scubaninja, Jacques is talking to you... lol (full of vodka - speaking da Rushian 2night)

Hey, let's get back on topic :p :lol:

Hello Kyle and Welcome.You of to a great start except for the rings.It is great to see reefers start of correctly unlike the old days when people had to upgrade or change their systems continuously.Your tank looks great.

We need to do a study or take a survey on the effects of reef-keeping on alcohol consumption. I know, for myself, I never used to drink much until I got involved with you lot... ridiculous. I think I'm still hung-over even now. :p

We need to do a study or take a survey on the effects of reef-keeping on alcohol consumption. I know, for myself, I never used to drink much until I got involved with you lot... ridiculous. I think I'm still hung-over even now.

:p

Hmm, that's not good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom