Reaction score
Colisa_lalia_3.jpg

i still got a fw tank but chaging this year to sw

need advise

got a 3ft tank,sump ect

what corals,fish,scimmer,ect must i get

Colisa_lalia_3.jpg

Hi Kyle

Spend as much as you can on hardware, skimmer, powerheads etc. Worry about livestock later. Try get equipment that is better specified than your tank IE: 500L tank but 1500L skimmer.

Also don't get con by Gaz that AM is the best :whistling:

Last edited:
i dont have a pic of him and da plant cammara ran out of battry

srry

kyle, warr is talking poo, AM is the best;)
enough pics of freshwater, time to plan your tank so your dad cant say no to marines.
thats how i started! i will draw a pic of what we can make your sump look like. give me 10min

ok will do the pic later, my dad is on the comp with that sketch program.
ok on the sump you going to need a dsb(deep sand bed) which is like my nitrate reducer. remeber that thing where is was -200 on the controller. but this is more natural. its basicly sand that is deep:p . you can use reggies play sand which is cheap, like 40 for 20kg whitch is all you will need. you can add a little bit of beach sand when we go diving.

skimmer, a ts1(reefocto is the make) will do well. that about R1000 but watch the for sale threads, people sell them for 700 second hand. i will hook you up with a skimmer. you already got your return pump and a sump. so next holidays we can convert thats to suit marines.

lights you already got and i got a second pair of t5's for you. thats 4 25W t5s witch will do great in a 3ft tank thats 30cm deep! you will be able to keep what im keeping just not the clams and sps(those colourfull sticks).

flow, you have seen candices tank...2 seios will work fine. they will cost about 800.

other things to consider are water changes, you can use nsw(natural salt water) and could always get RO water from northlands pets. an RO unit is about R1000. thats about it!

you already got the tank,stand sump,return pump. maybe for your birthday you can get the skimmer and sand and stuff and for xmas get liverock. you will get figi liverock! thats what i have and is about R90 per kg. you will need about 20kg or so, R1800 if my maths is correct.

i will email you a complete price list of what you need and what is nice to have like an auto top up unit which replaces the evapourated water so you dont have to.

ok to much talking:lol:

thks gaz

ill wait for da email an see prices at northlands and work out my dad cant stop me:thumbup:
how da shrimp and cleaner doing

Is this tank going have the red,yellow and green colours flying.

Da rasta tank, maan :lol:

Hi Kyle

Spend as much as you can on hardware, skimmer, powerheads etc. Worry about livestock later. Try get equipment that is better specified than your tank IE: 500L tank but 1500L skimmer.

Welcome Kyle. Agree whole heartedly on the above. I look forward to sharing in your experience during the transition:) Keep us posted.

Gaz, i can see you're excited to give your little cuz the advice he needs to do the change, but give us a chance, sheesh:p

what algae is good to have and what algae is bad to have

Welcome to MASA :)

Beneficial algea would be Macro algea eg. Chaetomorpha which is usually placed in your sump and requires light and nutrients in the water column to thrive. Benefits of Chaeto is : help's absorb phosphates and nitrates that are/may be present in the water column, therefore reducing Phosphates and Nitrates.

kyle i just finished your sump drawing, will upload it now.
good to see you not using mxit language any more;)

Back
Top Bottom