Kole Tang

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Wes, 7 Apr 2012.

1. Wes

Wes

Anyone out there have any experience with these guys, I have a powder blue, os I'm not 100% sure if they'll fight.

What should i be looking to pay for a juvenile say 6CM long?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've had a read up on them so not really interested in how they "should" behave in a tank. Experience please guys, If you've had one, got one I'd appreciate it if you can shed some light.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Esmond

Esmond

Hi Wes from my experience they are very aggressive and i paid abou R300-00 for mine.

4. Annoying

Annoying

I got a nice big kole tang(11-12cm) a couple of years ago also when I had a powder blue in the tank. The powder killed the kole in a week(the powder was half it's size):(. If you're thinking of putting in a new tang with an alleady established powder blue you will have to catch the powder first and sump him untill the kole has settled.

5. Fishman

Fishman

No experience but it is one of my 'must have' fish. Ive seen them going for as little as R260, but i think R300 is normal. Dorry in centurion had 2 juveniles last weekend

6. Helga

Helga

Hi Wes,
    I have the Yellow Eyed Silver spotted Kole Tang..... (Devil Incarnate!!!!!!)

If I can catch him, he would have been out. I bought him about 6 months ago as a very, very tiny Kole... he has grown incredibly in size. He is the most aggresive tang in my tank. I have a 20cm Regal, a Purple, a Blonde Naso and he dominates all. All new fish added goes through his bootcamp the first week. My Blennie and Mandarin has jumped twice because of his agression.

But then, most guys will tell you that according to the books they "should" not be agressive. Well, mine are. If I could do it over, he would be 1 of the last fish I would add to my tank!

7. crispin

crispin

i had a yellow eyed kole in my first 800l tank and he was a great fish. Realy strong algae eater and no aggresion at all with other tangs or fish at all. Ive never kept a powder blue though so i am not sure about th compatability with them.

you dont mention the size of your tank though, so its difficult to tell how well he would fit.

as you can see in this thread, some have good experiences with kole tangs and some not, i think if i had a well established Powder blue in an appropriate tank then i wouldnt mess with that by adding a kole though.

8. Wes

Wes Thread Starter

Great thanks for the reply's guys really informative.

My tank is a 1.2M Long x 0.65M Wide x 0.45M WH.

9. crispin

crispin

id personally skip the kole and PB in a 1.2m tank.

magman likes this.
  10. magman

magman

I would personally avoid them, I caught one as a juvie, just bigger than a R5 coin, any fish I added after, he was worse than a damsel with rabies, even with fish several times larger than himself and other species like angels, they are amongst the best grazers though, and if you wanted one, then I would add him last.

There is two types though, the strigosus, and the truncatus (excuse spelling), but I am sure they both have the same traits.

Recent Posts