Urgent help needed Kole tang died

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Fisherman, 4 Apr 2013.

1. Fisherman

Fisherman

Hi guys

Just got home now I noticed that my kole tang lying dead at the bottom of the tank. He can only be dead for a couple of hours maybe just over two..
    Do I need to do a water change? I've taken him out of the tank as soon as I noticed he was dead. I'm worried about the lives of my other LS.
    He was a new addition, wasn't eating much..

Can't think of anything else that could have killed him.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fisherman

Fisherman Thread Starter

No2- 0ppm
    No3- 50ppm

Any suggestions?

Don't have an ammonia test kit.

4. Dorry

Dorry dorry

No need for water change. All your LS no sign off decease. Kole tang probebly die he wasn't eating and stress.

5. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Is there any sign of white spot. Your other LS where they all eating, any sign of fish your fish that is in stress or indicate that there is a problem.

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Sorry to hear bud :(

set skimmer to skim 'wetter'

check Ph and dose alkalinity if possible to prevent the ammonia(if any) lowering the Ph

Other livestock should be fine but consider keeping lights off tomorro until nitrates decrease to prevent an algae bloom, also what is the other LS?

try to determine the cause of death, if it could be anything other than not eating(whitespot etc)

dead fish take a good couple of hours to start decaying

7. Fisherman

Fisherman Thread Starter

Thx for the advice guys. All other lf look healthy and are eating well. There doesn't seem to be any fish with whitespot. Ph seems a little low will dose. All other tests seem to be fine. Should I skip a feeding day?
    How would one tell if a tank is suffering from whitespot?

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Depends how and what you feed, just keep an eye on the nitrates and keep minimal lighting until they drop.

If they don't drop, consider a waterchange or something the more experienced members recommend.

What other livestock is in the tank? Whitespot affects certain fishes, check fish to see if they have white dots on their bodies. I don't really know alot about whitespot and i think the more experienced members are asleep at the moment :)

9. Fisherman

Fisherman Thread Starter

Lol I guess we are only two members left at this early hours of the morning:lol:
    I have 2x clowns
    Bangia cardinal
    Yellow tail damsel
    Yellow tang
    Longnose hawkfish
    Flame angel

10. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

as I said im not expert with whitespot but I think the yellow tang is the only one at risk of whitespot.....i think.....

Just take a good look at home and observe.

The other members will help in the morning but remember to keep an eye on those nitrates, 50ppm is fairly high, its not high enough to cause other fish to start dying but its far from ideal :p algae would love it

I hope all goes well :)

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Unless your skimmer normal waste increased, then do not worry about a water change. If the skimmer did overreact and produced a lot more skimate, then yeah a water change might be a good thing. But now, 8 hours later the skimmer would have taken out whatever released by the dead fish.

What was the size of the fish, compared to the system. Is a small 5cm fish in a 500L system, you would hardly notice a increase in any water parameter, depending on how good your clean up crew is.

12. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

At No3- 50ppm I have seen stress in the fish of my previous tank.
    Redsea has a product no3po4x that you can use to lower your NO3.
    I used this product in the past with great success, just be warned that you need to use this product to exact specifications. It removes O2 from your tank, so add a airstone.

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

just add a ml a day for a week and retest. water change more is recommended to reduce no3

14. Fisherman

Fisherman Thread Starter

Thx for the advice guys.. I've retested the water No3 hasn't dropped yet. The tang was about 6,5 cm in a 250l system. Will pick up this redsea product I suppose it will come in handy in emergencies..
    I'm planning a water change tmw, atleast 35litres.. I'm sure that will lower the nitrates.

15. Fisherman

Fisherman Thread Starter

Don't know if this is related to the kole tang dying, but my longnosed hawkfish has stopped eating.
    Any ideas as to why? What can I do to entice him to eat again. I've noticed that when feed frozen foods he now swims up has a look around without eating anything. I really really dont want to loose another fish...

Recent Posts