Koek's, Magman, your pets are roaming around!

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Mekaeel, 18 Apr 2011.

1. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Bay lion hunt still on

STORY: Ronelle Ramsamy

Lioness

Meerensee resident Teboho Mongoato and Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife District Conservation Manager Frans Mthembu at the entrance to the gravel road near Soetwaterstrand in Meerensee where a lioness was reportedly spotted on Monday afternoon

Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife (EKZNW) rangers continued their hunt day and night in the dense area near Soetwaterstrand in Richards Bay following the alleged lioness sighting on Monday. An urgent alert was sent out to Meerensee residents this week to temporarily refrain from walking and cycling on the popular and serene gravel road after local resident Teboho Mongoato allegedly spotted the predator. The Richards Bay teacher was reportedly taking his sister-in-law from the Eastern Cape for a drive down the road at around 1.40pm on Monday. ‘I am absolutely certain about what I saw. It was a huge, fully grown lioness. ‘As we drove onto the gravel road, she came out of the bush, crossed the road and disappeared into the bush on the other side. ‘We were shocked. I immediately made a U-turn and reported the sighting to the EKZNW office in Meerensee,’ said Mongoato. Often cycling and running on the same road, Mongoato warned security guards manning the nearby Five Mile Beach to be extra cautious as they reportedly travelled on the same road. ‘I won’t set foot here for now after seeing the lioness. I know what I saw. ‘This was not a cheetah, it was a lioness.’

Previous sighting
    This is reportedly not the first sighting of a lioness in the Richards Bay area.
    Meerensee resident Eugene du Preez told the Zululand Observer on Wednesday that both his domestic workers were traumatised after allegedly spotting a lioness in the greenbelt towards the Greenhills area nearly a year ago. ‘They saw the animal twice in one day,’ said Du Preez. ‘I immediately contacted EKZN officials, who combed the area, but could not find the animal. ‘I also searched the area with my Jack Russells and did see some tracks, but it was not clear. ‘However, the workers insisted that they had seen a lioness and pointed it out to me in a wildlife book,’ added Du Preez. While EKZNW District Conservation Manager Frans Mthembu could not confirm previous lioness sightings in the area, he said there had been sightings of cheetahs in the vicinity. ‘This area is home to bush buck and monkeys and we will continue to monitor the situation. ‘But we urge residents to avoid walking or cycling in this area for now,’ added Mthembu. If anyone spots the animal, they should immediately contact Mthembu on 082 5592849 or Kevin Green on 082 5592837...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

And im coming to Richards Bay on Friday:eek:

4. seank

seank

Ja Well, this is Africa Boet. Funny thing is, the guys are getting gatvol of the crime on the beaches, so they brought in two Lions (male and female). No one have seen the male yet. But crime has gone down quite drastically on the beaches since the Lions are around. Now they talking about bringing in more Leopards and Hyenas too. Would be awesome

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Just buy yourself a Jack Russell and you'll be fine :lol:

Last edited: 18 Apr 2011
  6. Mekaeel

Hey boss, stop abusing your power here! :p

7. Mekaeel

Making the place like a bloody zoo :p

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor