Kingii in holland

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemos Janitor, 5 May 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited: 6 May 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Nice and small one. Hopefully it also makes it to adult colours

4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Can't believe these guys can boast about illegal wildlife so openly. Wonder who poached this one...

5. DerekL

DerekL

What an amazing fish.

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Well we do not know that it was illegally caught and exported. But according to ReefBuilders it was caught in Durban.

I have mailed DAFF and enquired into the possibility of obtaining permits for catching and exporting such fish with the supporting FB references. It would be wonderful if such permits were available. We could then catch them and give them to overseas breeders breeding angels so that they become easily available to all. :thumbup:

7. makharold

makharold

Tisk tisk tisk :tt2:

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yeah we don't know for sure, but I'd say it's by far the most likely scenario.

The issue here is that if export permits could be legally arranged, then this should probably be one of the species requiring full protection anyway. Very limited natural range by fish standards, even if it is usually found deep. If export was allowed then you can be assured that depth and marine reserves won't be much of a deterrent to collectors when you've got such a high value species.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

10. rhox

rhox

How did the guy get it out of the country? Dont they check for this stuff at the airport?

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

When you've got money like that involved then I'm sure you can bribe the right people. Look at the amount of rhino horn finding it's way out...

12. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I assume the price as per the RC link Nemos Janitor posted is in USD? Ouch... Per gram, Rhinohorn is getting a run for its money :(
    If it illegally left SA, it left so in the same way illicit narcotics enter and exit our airports.... Relatively easily.
    Fish have never really been my area of expertise, what is the population density/sustainability of this species?

13. NO3

NO3

SORRY!

My bet is through importing it was allowed to be exported!

14. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Yeah, that's USD.

Going by the forum comments on RC, it was definitely caught and exported illegally and a lot of people seem to know who the poacher is. The fact that so many people know that and don't report him is pretty damn pathetic IMO. It's no different from supporting rhino poachers.

Well it has one of the most limited ranges of any marine fish, and the amount of reef we have out here is very limited because we only have rocky reef. A lot of it's range is in MPAs, but that doesn't really count for much considering MPAs seems to be where most are coming from. It's generally found quite deep, but again that certainly isn't a deterrent when you have those figures involved.

15. rhox

rhox

Aai that's horrible. I suppose it is the way of the world. Wish someone could cause $#%&+ for that guy.

16. NO3

NO3

@Lord_Blackadder like i said its all legit according to the paperwork and permits probably and its pretty easy to do!

Its more an abuse of the system!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. SteveZi

SteveZi

What a life!
    I can go out and collect pretty marine fish ( I love diving, and fish even more) and sell them to a nice little niche market and make lots of money.
    I love it.
    I sell only endemic species: Marleyii butterflies I sell for R11 000 a piece, no matter the size. (and they are everywhere).
    If and when I feel adventurous, I collect a Kingi angel and sell it for R150 000plus.... oh, while diving I see some rhomboides angels - I'll take them as well, they'll bring in a good few dollars.
    What a life! None of these species are on the prohibited species list so I can collect them all with my recreational fishing permit!
    By selling them, I only break one of my permit conditions, so maybe I can get a little fine for that, but no one will catch me, ever... in fact, I see poor people selling fish everyday without a permit even. No one cares.
    I'm getting rich quickly and doing what I love.

18. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Better put a disclaimer in case anyone's sarcasm-meter is broken, but well said.

19. Istio

Istio

You seem in the know. Please then end unnecessary speculation. We all know the recreational collection permit is issued strictly for personal use/consumption only. Has the RSA or KwaZulu Natal government licensed a person or company to collect marine ornamental fishes for the purposes of sale and or export ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. NO3

NO3

Im not in the know as i have never done it nor been involved with anyone that has but its quite easy once you have understood and been in the process of importing!

21. NO3

NO3

LOL i nearly thought thats what he did for a living i was starting to go green lol::lol::lol::lol:

Recent Posts