Killer Carpet

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
As requested, some pics of my most favourite carpet anemone....

First pic, my poor Powder Blue smothered in white spot, this pic was taken in the evening

IMGP2484.jpg

The next morning I woke up and walked over to see how my new Powder Blue was doing with all his whitespot, couldn't find him, but then........breakfast in bed...
IMGP2485.jpg

IMGP2486.jpg

By lunch time the carpet realised that breakfast didn't taste so good so he decided to get rid of it....

IMGP2489.jpg

Hi Dean

I hear of some extreme measures to stop white spot but this is way out man

Carl

Damn, that is something out of a horror movie.

:lol: @ Carl

SIMS, yip same tank when it used to look all pretty, those pics were taken in November 2006, now my tank looks like this....

IMG_0177.jpg

Looks like that snail on the right is doing a good job...

Viper I'm no expert but I will say that I think your algae issues are not the normal excess nutrients as I have an algae issue and it's growing everywhere - pumps, back glass, overflow even on my snails shells - yours seems to be rooted from your rock, your substraight seems to be untouched. just my 2 c...

:y10:

OMG Dean. So THIS is the incident?

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. I have never heard of anything like this.

ack!!! the's sad sorry Dean.

Also how did the hermies fare with the hair algae? Also what Sims says makes sense.

The polyp extension on all that green coral is amazing Dean.....

Your hermits on strike obviously?

Hi had the same thing happen to me a year ago with a yellow sailfin also sick and a large bubble tip. The only difference being i took all my live rock +- 40kg with all coral etc thinking the sailfin had died under the rocks. The bubble tip loved the meal spitting only the rib cage out.

I think my sailfin became very sick and unaware of his surrounding when the lights went out and swam into the bubble tip.

Hi Dean

With reference to the algae, what cleaner crwe do you have? After last disaster redid tank and used same dsb, rock ect. After some cycling i noticed a lot of "fur" and green algea starting. Dumped a couple of hermit and snails in and within a week zero
Regards

Carl

Hi Dean,
Sorry to hear of your loss. The PB looked in a bad way in the pic and it is possible that I died in the night and the nem just picked it up as it drifted past. (I am not saying it did not catch it, as that is what nems do, but just something to consider).

Looking at the algea in the tank. It seems to be filimentous type algea. Check your phosphate levels. It does not take much for this stuff to grow. I would suggest that you add is some form of phosphate remover/sponge.
Other options can include adding more snails (Turbo fluctuosa seem the best) or a fish like a Amblygobius rainfordi. It is a small fish, but it can eat a lot of this stuff. Another option is a tropical abalone. Smaller than the native species, but eats loads of algea.
Neil

stunning fish!!

courtjes.jpg

Thanks Neil, I am in the process of removing all rock and substrate to cook the rock, but that's for another thread.

I'm very curious about this fish you mentioned, first time I have heard of it...Thanks :D

Rainford's Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)

Rainford's goby is greenish brown overall with orange lines and has become a staple in the marine fish trade since about 1990. Its availability in the hobby corresponds with the increased popularity of reef aquariums. Although this fish will not harm sessile invertebrates, and is thus a suitable addition to the reef aquarium, it really does best if kept in a tank with filamentous algae (something most reef aquarists abhor). If the tank does not support an algal crop, it will often become emaciated. If the aquarist is persistent, it is possible to get these fish to accept introduced fare, like vitamin-enriched live and frozen brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, and prepared foods for herbivores. But, as I keep more A. rainfordi I have come to the conclusion that green and/or red filamentous algae is almost essential to keep most individuals.

Rainford's goby is a colorful addition to the reef aquarium, but will do best if some filamentous algae is present in the aquarium.
With the exception of closely related species, A. rainfordi is rarely aggressively toward fish tankmates. I have kept it with other Amblygobius spp. with varying degrees of success. If housed with larger forms, it is likely to be picked on if the tank is small. It may fight with the similarly-shaped Hector's goby (Amblygobius hectori).

Last edited:
haha, phat was too fast for me, has anybody ever seen this fish for sale?

lol i also read on it but didn't think about posting was just surprised by the simple beauty this fish has

Back
Top Bottom