Kill the Lionfish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by LCornelius, 6 Aug 2010.

1. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Unfortunately the jist of the story is true lean, a bit dramaticised though but they are actually paying for caught ones due to the damage they cause to the ecosystems they are released in via boats etc etc. A VERY small amount is due to aquarists

4. colbar

colbar

I fully understand how you feel, but you must also consider that they (lionfish) are "voracious predators" ready to take anything else out which also upsets the balance of things. There is a group of conservationist that are addressing the problem, but by the sounds of things it seems quite wide-spread. Horrible story.

5. LCornelius

LCornelius Thread Starter Moderator

I fully understand the problem, just the way they make Lion's sound.
    The website is horrible: "Catch, Kill, Eat. Repeat" that is their motto!

They don't say, lets control the problem, rather a mass slaughter!

On Twitter I made the following statement: Can't wait to get a pet Lionfish.
    24 hours later this group followed me! I did not look for them, they found me!

May their server crash in piece!

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

its sad yes but they are devastating fish. If we take our own country all our rivers and lakes hardly have any native fish in because of the damage that the carp, trout and bass have caused. they are an alien species and could wipe out entire eco systems

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

8. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry I guys but I do disagree strongly with a lot of things when it comes to lions. Firstly their survival rate from egg to hunting demon is actually quite low, secondly they have a LOT of natural predators..they are thus not apex hunters.

Lastly , and spend a mo to mull this over, where they have become "pests" are in some of the most popular TOURIST (not HOBBYST) and shipping areas.

Jist of my story, as long as we are using the ocean as one big higway with vessels sucking up thousands of litres (and life) and dumping them somewhere else this will keep on happening. Also happening to jellyfish species BTW

My 2C rant

9. LCornelius

LCornelius Thread Starter Moderator

I believe Frans has a point here. Still any creature can be a "pest" I think the human race is a "pest" to the ocean etc.

Yes we are the alpha on the continents, but we still don't seem to care enough to take care of the planet.

Back to the fish, the part that still piss me off is they way the website portray Lion's.
    How would you like to see the same site about Whales (I know, bad example).

We need to understand the balance here. I mean, let the ocean sort out the fish, it is not our job. Same with animals, look what happens if a Springbok tribe get to big. Disease sets in. I think the planet will set the balance.

My 2c worth.

Let me get back to dreaming about my Lion tank :thumbup:

10. gaboon

gaboon

there clearly is a problem but the yanks always have to go make a sport out of it. They do the same with the diamondback rattler roundups.

11. durleo

durleo

I heard a report that during a hurricane someones aquarium burst and these fish have made a massive invasion from then. They dont have any real enemies and eat alot juvenile fish species. Its like Japan introduced the Indian mongoose to control snakes but they didnt take into consideration that the mongoose hunts by day and the snakes are nocturnal. Now the mongoose are threatening endangered birds.

12. Achilles

Achilles

Frans is correct the ballasts of large tankers and ships take water in from diff areas and dump water out in another area so species migrate through human methods , hobbyists are a convenient sector to blame but i think Huge tankers and ships are more responsible for spreading invasive species around the globe

13. FransSny

FransSny

Thanx Achilles, the same happened to many other species...button spiders was once endemic to certain parts of the world but was re distributed via traders , shipping lanes etc. We are the problem....not them

14. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

That is were God comes into the game. If God created the planet and all life on there, he made the biggest mistake with creating humans. Animals kill to survive, we do it just for fun, love and jealousy. Each species got certain other species on their menu. That keeps everything on balance. Humans consume almost anything. In poor developed countries where there is no birth control and common sense, humans multiply like rabbits and the food source stays the same.
    If I had the power to switch off all human life, I would not hesitate to do so.
    Obviously I would be the first to be switched off, but I would pay the price so the earth
    could recover from human destruction.
    Imagine what the planet would look like without humans in the first place.
    That is what I call Heaven!

15. FransSny

FransSny

Ditto Marcel, screw aids, the black plague and any other virus known to the human race....we are the virus

16. colbar

colbar

Yes agreed. The human race is dispicable, interfering at every turn and then wondering why things are going wrong.

Recent Posts