kh

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by regis, 26 Nov 2009.

1. regis

regis

I am having trouble keeping my kh up. My parameters are. Temp 26. Kh7 sg1.026 nitrate 0 phophate0.1 ph8.4 calcium 350 and mg1440. Know i have read a couple of posts and really foot understand how to balance things out. If i raise the Kh how will the other parameters be affected.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Regis - between what and what levels does your kH or dkH fluctuate?

The usual/most common way to keep your kH (alkalinity levels) up, is by dosing either bicarbonate of soda (baking SODA), or sodium carbonate (sodium carbonate = washing soda, or baked baking soda)....

This gets dosed (in your size tank) as follows:
    - mix +-20mg to 40 mg (start off with 20mg) in +-100ml RO water....
    - then, take a kH (alkalinity) measurement BEFORE dosing
    - then, dose 25ml firstly, wait +-1.5 to 2 hours (for it to mix in well) then measure again - repeat the process until you see your dkH or kH increase - repeat until you have reached the required level (between 9 and 11 dkH), and then measure again.....
    - keep on measuring on a daily basis, until you see the dkH levels starting to drop, then dose ONLY ONE DOSE of 25ml.... wait 1.5 to 2 hours, then measure again.... see if the dkH have increased with the one 25ml dose.... repeat IF necessary.....

I hope you understand.... good luck....

(btw: the nemmie is never better! It's awesome - I am feeding twice a week at this stage - I will reduce feeding once the nemmie is starting to grow too much.....) ;)

4. regis

regis Thread Starter

thanks makes sense. I am glad to here that. It loves to eat.

5. shrimp

shrimp

I might be wrong but is the KH of natural sea water not 7 ? ....
    question, if a KH of 7, too what level can the CA be raised without causing precipitation (ie can you have CA of 400 and KH 7) if MG is @ 1380?

6. jacquesb

Hi Shrimp - yes, and no. The kH of NSW is BETWEEN 7 and 9. BUT, because we keep very little water (relatively spoken) in a glass tank, the pH can fluctuate far easier, reducing the kH far quicker than it can ever do, in the actual sea....

So - my preference, and that of many others, is to keep the kH slightly higher.

As far as I know, there have been no direct relation between kH and Magnesium.

The corrolation between kH, Ca and pH is quite evident.

Some people say that Ca might precipitate out of solution, if the kH is far too high - I have only ever experienced this ONCE, in the 4 years of keeping marines - when I was really really a green newbie. Never ever since.

My kH was at 18 at some stage, with my calcium levels sitting at 500... and my pH at 8.6 - and I never lost any lifestock at that time - and I had absolutely NO calcium precipitation happening......

7. shrimp

shrimp

Jacquesb ... thanks ... so I guess running a bit of chaeto in sump on reverse lighting will help stablise PH is a good thing ....
    What is the best way to dose CA, assume mix with some RO and slowly add to return chamber ?

8. regis

regis Thread Starter

will my phosphate level of 0.10 promote the growth of green hair algae I seem to be getting am outbreak or can it be from the hotter weather we are having.

9. shrimp

shrimp

What do u use for Water Changes (NSW or synthetic) .... if synthtic, where do u get yr RO from as I know of a LFS in Cpt that's RO is not good ...

10. jacquesb

JIP - running chaetomorpha is REALLY something EVERY single reefer SHOULD DO!
    As long as your pH swings are not more than 1 full point (ie. from 8 to 7, or even worse 8 to 9), then everything is SUPER, mate. As I said - even in the sea things are not THAT stabile as everyone wants to make it.... things does change - just over a long period of time......

Regis - YES - definitely - phosphates and high nitrates is the ABSOLUTE BANE of EVERY SINGLE REEFKEEPER!

I did not ask or notice - did you have chaetomorpha in your tank's sump?

If not - should you perhaps visit me some time, and come and see the nemmie - then I will give you more chaetomorpha than what you would ever need.... This, together with some decent lighting over the chaeto, will ensure to get rid of all extra phosphates and nitrates.............

Any phosphates, and high'ish levels of nitrates, are NEVER good in a marine aquarium!

11. regis

regis Thread Starter

thanks but i have alot. Would like to see your setup one day. I think it might be a ro problem.. I am using a three stage filter system. Not true ro. I do use prime with it.

12. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Use 3.02 g bicarbonate of soda per 100 litre to raise the alkalinity by 1 degree.
    Target should be 10. Especially when keeping Xenia.
    Always raise only 1 degree per day. Don´t stress fish and corals. Dilute not more than 50gr bicarb in 1 litre water. If your ph is to low, use sodium carbonate.
    Use 1.9 g sodium carbonate per 100 litre to raise the alkalinity by 1 degree.
    If you don´t have sodium carbonate, spread bicarbonate of soda onto an oven tray, put it into the oven by 200°C for 1 hour. After cooling down, you will have sodium carbonate.

Recent Posts