KH Low

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ThaneF, 15 Mar 2011.

1. ThaneF

ThaneF

Hi guys/gals

I was testing my KH and it's at 5 :whistling: which is a bit low... I currently dose brightwells reef code B whick is supposed to bring up the KH as well but maybe it's not enough?
    I have read that you can use bicarb soda with RO water... but I have a nano with a chiller and I don't loose much water at all. Can I take out 500ml of water - add a quater teanspoon bicarb and drip that salt water back in - slowley with the ATO unplugged... can I do this or muct I use RO?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

DONT use RO water otherwise you will change your salinity. Either use new made up water or take some water out and mix your additives and then slowly replace. For my alkalinity I use kalkwasser (limewater). I would suggest using that. I think bicarb is for ph and not necessarily kh (but I could be wrong). and remember do it slowly, especially in a nano. maybe take a week to get it up to 10-12.

4. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Ok just checked - bicarb is a kh raising agent. so yeah, just do a really small amount at first and then test to see how much your kh has raised. you can then use that to calc how much you need to add on a daily basis to get it up to 10/12.

It will be good in the long run to know how much your kh drops (say over a week), then based on the calc you are doing now you will know how much to dose daily or weakly to keep your tank as stable as possible

5. Tony

Tony

You have to base your dosage on your consumption rather than the recommended dosage. Up the dosage of the brightwells part B but bear in mind that it has to be used in conjunction with part A. Alkalinity, calcium and magnesium exist in the right proportions. If one is out of synch then the others are adversely affected

6. ThaneF

ThaneF Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys... I'm currently dosing reef code a and then code b every second day (at least 30 minutes apart)... can I just double the code b dosage (ie 1 part code a to 2 parts code b?) I also done magnesium on the days that i don't dose the reef codes

Recent Posts