Kh§Ca story

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Soyuz Apollo, 17 Oct 2009.

1. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo

Hi there...i've been just wondering about the Ca and Kh...as i know the optimal Ca in the tank supposed to be 350-400 and the natural see water it's about 7 dkh...in my tank the Kh normally it's 8,but sometimes i use the Kh buffer and than the Ca it's drasticly dropping...logicly if im raising the Kh i should put the Ca buffer,but on other side i dont see the sens to do it,couse as i think im doing unnesesery waist of two buffers...i've read that it's good to rais the Kh even to 14 ,but than one must put the extra calcium to get the 350-400...so in Your opinion,what it's best thing to do,leaved as it is (Kh 8) or raise the Kh with buffer and the Ca to get the book like 350-400...Greatings...Raphael...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

What are you using for calcium and alkalinity additions?

4. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo Thread Starter

Hi...for the alkalinity grotech carbonat pro instant and for calcium seachem reef complete...but im doing that periodicly ,trying not to be in the game of putting to many stuff...normaly the water changes are ok,but sometimes i need slightly rais the Kh and calcium...

5. Tony

Tony

Do you dose them seperately or together?

Do you drip the supplements or add them quickly?

I would personally leave you KH at 8DKH. Fourteen is way to high. When your calcium drops after adding the buffer, how much does it drop by?

6. Soyuz Apollo

I dose them separetly quickly adding into interior sump...it's not easy to say how much the calcium drops...i can give an example...Kh 8 Ca 400,Kh 12 Ca 360 and i dont think the lower Ca it's cause by corail need...the grotech buffer it's something powerfull and one can rise the alkalinity very fast by overdosing,exactly what had hapend to me,than i saw the differences in Ca levels depending of the different Kh...If im keeping Kh at 8 i have not problem with the calcium...what interest me it's just the theorie,why Kh is changing the calcium and what the authors mean by "the optimal calcium level it's 350-400)"...but thay never say with what alkalinity...U right Tony,it's better to stay by the 8 dKH...

7. Tony

Tony

I think your calcium is precipitating because of the excess buffer ions.Salt water can only hold so many calcium and carbonate ions. If there are too many they will fall out of solution. Could you give me your magnesium readings as their is a balance between alkalinity, calcium and magnesium

Reduce your buffer dosage based on your consumption i.e measure your buffer in the morning, add the product and retest the next morning. Adjust accordingly. I would keep your KH at 8 and calcium at 400ppm. Just find your daily consumption and dose accordingly. If you still find the calcium dropping then I would suggest dripping the buffer with some RO water over a few hours

8. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

I have found that by continuosly adding calcium to the system this also raises the KH of the aquarium with out the addition of a KH buffer.

9. Soyuz Apollo

...start to be very interesting...Tony i did not think that Mg got something to do with all of that,but i've noticed that my magnesium it's allways to high,never droping less than 1450,sometimes even higher like 1550,maybe here it's a problem...?...ADVdiver i've noticed exatly the opossed thing...more alkalinity=less calcium and more calcium=less alkalinity...My today test KH 12;Ca 360,Mg 1450...

10. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

It is the Magnesium, you need it higher as when you have low levels of Mg then the alk and Ca bond, taking it out of the tank. Try and raise your Mg, and see what happens.

11. Tony

Tony

Magnesium does play a part in keeping the calcium in solution, however, your levels although a bit high are fine. Add less buffer and if possible drip it and see how things go with the calcium

12. Soyuz Apollo

Ocean,my magnesium it's allready to high as i said above 1400-1450 and supossed to be 1300...

13. Soyuz Apollo

Yeah Tony i will do like that,trying to keep as natural as possible...by 7-8 dKH it means normally i will not need to use the alk buffer...

14. Tony

Tony

Then you dont. If you are dosing kalk or calcium carbonate these things usually supply both calcium and alkalinity

15. Soyuz Apollo

Thanx Tony it was nice of U to help...it seems to look clearer now...Greatings...Raphael...

Recent Posts