Kenya ban export of liverock !

Discussion in 'Perky Pets Superstore' started by Perky Pets, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi all.

We just received a batch of live rock from Kenya and been told it will be the last until nature conservations legislations have been finalized to carry on harvesting the live rock or not.

There reason is that the methods of collecting the rock is Damaging the sea floor / marine environment .

The Fiji rock will still be available for import / export And resale.

Our 100kgs of live rock is still selling for R98.95 per/kg - ( no price increase )

Thanks
    David

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

cool price!

yip they also banned the trade of tonga LR, not sure if its still enforced though.

4. Adee

Adee

Good thing I already have my half ton of LR :whistling:

5. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

6. maxisoft

maxisoft

Now we all know who's place to stake out when there's a world wide shortage of the stuff... :thumbup:

7. Suhayl

Suhayl

I wont be buying ever, me sitting with close to quarter ton of good stuff.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

gotta get them while they're hot :p .. Im guessing the price of kenyan will increase due to the shortage of supply

9. Meneer

Meneer

How good is Kenyan? I can get it for R95 in Bellville..

10. Dane

Dane

Lol. massive saving of R4.

Kenyan is okay. Its fairly dense, but imho looks better than tonga branch. Not nearly as good as fiji. I would be quite happy using it my system tho.

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

Kenyan is generally the "cheaper" live rock

12. Meneer

Meneer

@ Dane - you can add R40 fuel if I don't buy it here... and I can't afford 20 kg a shot....

13. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Thread Starter Sponsor

Not to dissagree with you Dane, but another way of compairing the rock...
    I personaly prefer kenyan over figi , not in looks, but for filtration because:

When we land it, it takes about 1 and a half to 2 months for it to cure properly, in a 1000 liter container of water with plenty of circulation and skimming.
    We genraly say its cured when there is no smell at all if the rock id lifeted out of the water and put to the nose test.
    Then turn the rock around and make sure there are no visible signs of black patches.
    And the skimmer stops pulling out the thick dark waist.

The final test is if the water is tested and there is no trace of ammonia and nitrite , then we will say its cured.
    But
    Figi live rock goes through this prosess in about 2 weeks.
    This tells me there is more surface area and tiny tunnels in the kenyan rock to have such a massive dying of stage that produces so much protien,ammonia and nitrate and then takes that much longer to cure.
    Somthing else ive noticed in our tanks is that kenyan gets covered in Coraline algea much, much quicker that figi for some reason.

These are just my opinions, im not saying it to sell the kenyan for years to come as it may not be available , just what ive noticed and the ban is a bummer !
    P.S
    I think the freight from Kenya also is cheaper than from Figi , which helped keep the price down.

Cheers
    David

14. Dane

Dane

No stress bud, where all here to share our opinions! Thats what a forum is about :)
    First off I certainly can't profess to being an expert - as almost all the rock in my tank is cobbled together from various different sources - mostly donors!
    But everything I've heard on the topic does say that Fiji is more porous and lighter. Also when have bought a small piece or two for my tank the fiji has generally been lighter in the hand than the kenyan - this intuitively tells me its less dense, and probably more porous?

One thing that might be accounting for the difference in "cure time" is that most of the fiji suppliers pre-cure there rock (or so I've heard?), I'm not sure the kenyan guys do? But you would be in a better position than I to comment on that?

Some reading if anyone's reeeeaaally interested :p But of course its from an american perspective. So for us some of the logic is reversed. Ie: shipping from fiji is much longer than shipping from kenya - so you should hypothetically get more die-off from the fiji stuff, unless its pre-cured. etc etc etc....

Live Rock
    Live Rock

15. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Thread Starter Sponsor

I supose the best way to determin the density whould be to have a piece of Figi and kenyan of a equill weight and put them into identicle containers off water and to measure what the displacement is, the higher the displacement of water per kg the less dense it is .( thats also a question ) ?
    Will see if i have time tomorrow and do a test.

I have asked my supplier about the curing time of the two rocks about 3 months back and he says its the ammount of live on and in the rock that dies that determines the curing time..., but our figi is not pre cured.

Displacement test should be interesting, will follow up once i do it.

Cheers David

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Mar 2011
  16. Dane

Dane

Sounds like a good test to me. Only problem is the very small spaces (which if I recall correctly accrue the greatest surface area) will probably hold water tension and thus be excluded. But I can't think of a better way to test it! :p DEFINITELY more accurate then holding it and going hmmmmm, "feels like" hahaha! Let us know what you find! :)

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The title of this thread indicates a not true situation and is misleading to members. Arguments for and against various types of LR are informative and debatable.

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

While this may be true, I believe it is mostly because shipping is practically just around the corner from us. Quality wise I really don't think there is anything wrong with Kenyan, besides, apart from what is visibly on the outside of the rock, is there anybody that can actually say, with valid reason and scientific facts, that one type of rock is better than another? The best way to run your reef is to have rock from all of the different sources around the world, that will give you nice biodiversity, at least for a while until the dominant species of bacteria takes over. :)

A comment I found on WetWebMedia about Kenyan live rock - "It isn't economical to ship all the way to the U.S." Which in my mind tells us why some rock is more expensive than other rock, is it mostly down to shipping distance??? If they were to ship Kenyan to the US then it would fetch a really high price per kilo, would this then make everybody "assume" that because the price is so high it must be of the best quality? ;)

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Hmm.... very confused. You describe displacement and i question your thoughts.

a solid 100mm ball of lead, a 100mm ball of aluminum and a 100mm ball of sealed polystyrene will have the same displacement of water. Because they displace 100 mm. All of these examples have very different densities.

Now here is another thought.....

on seconds i ask @Neil H to explain better than i can, the rock density, more importantly , the structure of the various LR. And the properties that each has and the displacement differences.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2011
  20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Why, have you heard different? I'm curious to know what they mean by this, they say the "methods of collecting the rock" is damaging the environment, are they using dynamite or what?

Not confusing, you're just having another late night. :p I think what David means is if you place two pieces of rock of the same weight in the water, the one that is more porous will absorb the most water, makes sense to me. Let's not be too overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, we're not all highly qualified scientists here so layman's terms and tests do most of us just fine. :)

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

i am of the opinion that not all live rock is equal. this is based on the quality of the life on the live rock. top quality live rock is the one with the best life on it (the little goodies that grow on it in your tank). i find certain live rock shapes appeal to me more and that is why i would consider buying it, i am of the opinion that kenya makes a stunning base rock on which one can build but the shapes are boring. having said that. those who will have less livestock in tank go for the better shapes and those who have the moolah to buy lots of livestock arent too concerned about the shape because it will be covered in livestock pretty soon. ps i only have fiji

Recent Posts