Kenia tree - white tips

Reaction score
Hi - My kenia tree got these white tips....
I know that bleaching is a option here, but that is only when water temp is to high...
What else can cause these white tips?

Post a pic so we can make 100% sure, but I've seen on the one I had that if something (Flow/Fish etc) bothers them, they tend to have white tips- hence not extending fully

cool will take a pic a bit later on.
Why would you say flow will bother it.
mine is currently in moderate flow...

Hi Guys,
I'm having trouble with one of my Kenia tree frags...
I've fragged my kenia tree into 3 pieces a while ago (+- 3 months back).
All 3 frags were doing fine - growing like mad, and forming new "branches".
But about 4 days ago i've noted that the one Kenia tree doesn't "open" any more.
i've moved around a bit - tried more flow/less flow/higher in the tank for more ligh/less light ext ext. but still it doesn't want to open.
I've also noted that the tips started to turn a yellowish colour (i don't hope that this is a bad sign)

Something must have irritated it like mad! I do see some slime on it, so hopefully it will shed the slime a open up again.

All my other corals are doing great - all open!:thumbup:

Any ideas on what to do?

Oh -yes the only thing that i've changed in my tank was to add 1 extra 80W T5 globe.
Could the extra light caused some "shock"?:lol:

New lights could be a problem, remember this coral doesn't need loads of light.

The tips normally indicate an aggressive coral's attacks, I see it from my hammer coral every now and then

Lastly, it might be nothing you will ever work out, soft corals can some of the strangest corals. I have a pincushion that refuses to eject his polyps fully, yet he is still alive and growing ????

New lights could be a problem, remember this coral doesn't need loads of light.

The tips normally indicate an aggressive coral's attacks, I see it from my hammer coral every now and then

Lastly, it might be nothing you will ever work out, soft corals can some of the strangest corals. I have a pincushion that refuses to eject his polyps fully, yet he is still alive and growing ????

True - but the other 2 pieces didn't react the same way, and that bothers me..
What do you mean by "aggressive coral attack"? The only other coral close to this kenia tree is the other piece of kenia tree and an athelia coral.... can the athelia caused this?
I moved it away, and it's "on its" own now for a day - but still closed..:(

Give it a couple more days.

Any possible fish or crabs that could be nibbling on it ?

If it keeps getting worse, frag the branch, in case it is some sort of disease

Give it a couple more days.

Any possible fish or crabs that could be nibbling on it ?

If it keeps getting worse, frag the branch, in case it is some sort of disease

Thanks!
I'll give it a couple more days....

Nope no crabs/fish are nibbing on it (well not that i can see...)
I really don't hope that it's a disease...

76248da47cb79faf.jpg

got one 2 but doesnt want to open, when i got it it was bout to die , had to save it, got it cheap, bout 3weeks in my tank now, was all hanging and pap when i got it it, this is taken 2min ago

Sure that it isn't one of those dyed ones where the dye prevents the coral from getting the right light penetration?

Back
Top Bottom