Keith's softy tank

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Nemos Janitor, 26 Jan 2013.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

After a lot of pressure from @viper357 I will start a thread on my softy tank.

When I set up this tank I wanted to be able to keep many of the wonderful reef fish that are not considered reef safe. Mainly butterfly fish, coachman, angels and bat fish. I also did not want a tank that had only balding live rock. The tank needed to look natural and there needed to be corals inside that the finicky feeders could eat off of without the corals looking beaten up and dying. With this in mind the tank evolved to what it is today.

This tank was upgraded from a few smaller tanks over time. I cannot remember the year it was started but I think it was around 2008. In its current form it has been running since April 2011.

The tank dimensions are 1800 x 600 x 750wh and it is constructed of 12mm normal float glass. Water volume is about 900l including sump volume. The tank is complemented by a wooden cabinet that houses all the filtration equipment. The cabinet is constructed around a steel square tube frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Jan 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

And then?

Wheres the pics?

4. Yuri

Yuri

Keith please put up photos of the skimmer for ridwaan ;)

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

tldr ttiuwp
    :googlenub:

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

I have loads of pics to put up. Unfortunately not today as my LT crashed and is in for recovery. So working off my iPad at the moment. Might get out the point and shoot and do something later.

7. Francois

Francois

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I have seen this tank in person, about time you share it with everyone :thumbup:

9. Rossi

Rossi

Tagging

10. Nemos Janitor

I will continue with the text and then edit some pics in later. Battery for P&S now on charge.;)

The lighting for this tank is by T5. One 8 x 80w unit houses 2 Giesemann Actinic plus and 6 Giesemann Aquablue +. The lighting used to be controlled by the timers you buy from builders but I had an Aquatronica lying around and decided to put it to some use.

The lighting photo period is ..
    Actinic's. 07h00. - 21h30
    Aquablue+ 08h00 - 20h00

[​IMG]

11. seank

seank

You open a thread, wet our brains and appetites, make us speadread to be able to scroll down just to see the pics....... And then you say no pics..... This is sooooo wrong in many ways... Almost feel like giving you an infraction, but I know the mods will remove it for a non supportive reason....lol
    Use your ipad to upload

12. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Annd the last time I checked an ipad had a camera?

13. Nemos Janitor

For the filtration I wanted to keep it simple and small. I also wanted to be able to control the nutrient levels. I feed my fish heavily because they need to feed the corals so that the corals can feed the finicky fish that require live corals to eat.

The tank has a slimline overflow and feeds water directly to the Deltec AP851 which is rated for 1000L heavy stocking and 1500L normal stocking. This skimmer is located inside the sump which is 1000 x 450 x 450. Inside the first compartment along with the bulky skimmer is a two little fishers phons ban reactor with 500mm RowaPhos inside. This first compartment then overflows to next chamber that has filter media in it. Not sure of the quantities but you can get an idea from the PIC. From top to bottom, filtermat, Ehime efisubstrate, alpha grog,Plastic Bio balls. In the nearly two years this system has been running I have never cleaned or changed this compartment. The secret to ensuring the media does not accumulate detritus is to keep the filter mat snug against the sides of the chamber and skimm 100% of the water returning to the sump. The third compartment is basically the sump reservoir it has no live rock or DSB just the two jäger
    300w heaters and the Deltec NFP616 denitrator. There is also a Hailea 500A chiller that keeps the temp in control. The chiller is also controlled by the Aquatronica that controls the heaters as well. I will go more into detail on the denitrator in another post.

The filter showing the Deltec AP851. Note the filter media and how detritus free it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top of the denitrator

[​IMG]

The Hailea chiller on the other side of the cabinet.

[​IMG]

14. Nemos Janitor

Tank water circulation is by a AM3500 return pump I think. May be a Hailea not 100's sure alas the name is no longer on the pump. It is blue anyway.

There are four big Saio pumps in the rocks and I do not know if all are still working but I can see flow so I assume so.

[​IMG]

15. Sidney

Sidney

Tagging :whistling:

16. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

seems these may be "imaginary setups".......no pics no proof:p

17. Nemos Janitor

LOL bud. You just to slack to jump in that horse cart of yours and get the rig over to take a look.:tt2:

:) yeah it is an older version skimmer. Perhaps he does not know it.:thumbup:

F$@% google. Yes Rory pics are coming. In good time. :1:

Francois you enziarety will soon be over. Thank you for following.

Thank you Steven. The tank has change a little since you last viewed it. But basically the same. Yes the sharing bit was expressed by the Boss.

Thank you for tagging on this one Rossi. Just something outside of the stick brigade.

There is a smiley to express this sort of post.:1:

Yes bud, just a little fore play to excite on disappoint. pIC' s are a coming soon.

True Ivan but the pad is full of music and vids. Just have to wait a little.

Yup I agree. And there will be a thread on my virtual tank coming soon. STC thank you for showing interest in my tank. PIC's will be up later to night and tomorrow.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2013
  18. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

The suspence is killing me! Scary part is we know its gonna be imressive!

19. Nemos Janitor

No not so impressive to the eye. But perhaps to what I am trying to achieve and the vision forward.

20. seank

seank

I a, gonna go fish, this takes too long.....he he
    Keith, am gonna have a cold one on you this afternoon, kid is having his birthday party today and we doin the braai.... Xheers in the meantime....

21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Nice to have a thread, I have seen this tank and its awesome

Recent Posts