keeping water

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Richard, 15 Jun 2009.

1. Richard

Richard

I currently get my water from the 2 oceans aquarium. Cape Town (sea water, not mixed water)
    How long can I keep it (in a sealed plastic container)in order to do a water change at a later stage?
    and if so what and how is the best way to store it.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boendoe

Boendoe

If it's sea water I would not store it for longer than a week, Sea water contain a lot on living organisms and they would problem start dying of with in a couple of days. RO water on the other hand if stored in a cool dark place you can keep it for some time.

But this is just my 2 cents maybe some of our resident Chemist will be able to give you a better answer.

4. Jaak

Jaak

Hi Richard, I collect NSW from the 2Oceans too. You can keep it for at least a week or two. I use mine before the week is up though and I keep it in black 25L containers.

5. corylyle1

corylyle1

i also get mine from the two oceans. I usually keep it for no longer than 10 days!!

6. moz

moz

I prefer to use my NSW within a few hours of collection, that way hopefully I have minimal die off of what ever is in the water. If I do keep water for longer, I keep it for at least two weeks and then don't use the bottom 10%

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree with Moz. I also do it that way. When make storing, make sure it is kept in a cool shaded place. If you are going to be using it straight after collecting, dont leave it for more than 2 hours else you will get die off.

8. MikeR

MikeR

Sorry maybe a little off topic, but am interested- How long is Plain RO wate able to be kept for. Ie in the auto top up chamber- how long before it goes bad?

9. Boendoe

Boendoe

I keep my RO water for up to 2 weeks in a cool dark room. I'm sure you can keep it for longer.

10. moz

moz

Someone might have to correct me on this one, but if I remember correctly RO or distilled water does not store well as it tends to absorb a lot of chemicals from the environment, so effectively after a certain time period it is no longer pure. If kept in a sealed container it should be fine, but then again I think I read somewhere that the container must be glass.

Taking all of the above into account, I keep my RO water in a plastic Jerry Can and need to refill the can about once a week.

11. marine101

marine101

With 2 oceans water which i also use. I dont keep it longer than 2 days in a sealed container. I do Decant it into a 250l drum which i airate and filter for up 2 a month. No real issues
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I keep my NSW up to 2 weeks as well, and have never had issues that I know of. Once in a while there is a slight fading of coral colours, but is that the water or something else? Who knows? I think the quality of water will vary with the amount of organisms dieing off, and that's different all of the time. I'd say that the water should stay oxygenated for well over a week, so die off will only occur due to the organisms lifespan ending or other factors such as over/underheating. Even if there is die-off, how much dead material will there really be? Not enough to cause any issues unless the water is collected from some seriously plancton laden area. Maybe smell the water before you use it, if it is a little older.

Recent Posts