Keeping temperatures constant

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mytank, 25 Aug 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

Hi all,

So as I am looking at clams my research brings me back to two main things that need to be kept constant:

1. Tempreture
    2. PH

So with Tempreture they say that it should NEVER EVAAAAAAAA go over over 27.6 degrees. Now with my tank it hovers over 26 sometimes 27. I don't want summer to come along with my MH and boil the ocean so to speak. So the question I have for you guys is what is the best way to keep the tempreture as constant as possible?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Various options:

1. Chiller , pros it is quite accurate cons bloody expensive
    2. Fans over your sump , pros it is cheap , cons not very accurate means and also increases evaporation
    3. Algea scrubber pros it is easy to build and cheap. It will also assist with nutrient export. Cons it will increase evaporation and requires maintenance

In my experience minor temp swings are not that bad

4. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Is that in general or with clams?

I am not to worried about temp changes to tell you the turth I am worried about it going over 27.6 as they say thats whats lethal for a clam.

It looks like a Chiller it is going to have to be .....

5. hermie

hermie

Think I will tag along on this one as last summer we had a few temperature spikes but at that time we didn't have anything valuable in terms of livestock. We are presently deciding whether to go the fan or chiller route for this summer.

6. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

I am planning to get an accurate temp probe, and wire it into my industrial controller. Will control as follows:

Heater 1 on below 26
    Heater 2 on below 25
    Fan on above 27

Will hopefully save some electicity and clamp temperature between 26 and 27.

7. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

What system do you have that does that temp regulation?

8. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

9. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Very cool - when u figure out which temp probe to use let me know. I am using the dynamax one that you can buy in any of the LFS

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

There are many types of temperature controllers in the market - make sure that, whatever you get, it can be adjusted. Most temperature probes are in fact temperature dependent resistors - i.e. resistors that change their resistance depending on the temperature. All these probes need to be calibrated with an accurate thermometer if you really want them to be accurate (this is normally done at 0°C and either 25°C or 50°C).

What do these units cost, and where can one obtain them in South Africa?

As an alternative, I can recommend the TAIE PID controllers - I currently have four of them in use (three on my tank, controlling temperature, pH and ORP, and one controlling my geyser). They are available in South Africa, at a cost of around R700.00 (excl. VAT), and can control both your heaters and a chiller (through correctly sized relays/contactors, of course...)

Hennie

11. lIghty

lIghty

I use my DIY tank controller and maintain a temp of 25C, with a maximum temp fluctuation of 0.5 deg C.

But as Hennie said, a dedicated controller for R700 is not bad!

12. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Ok Alert NEWBIE - how the hell does that thing work? Do you plug a temp probe into it and your heaters or what do you do with it .... :blush::blush::blush:

13. lIghty

lIghty

Its a controller that has a temp sensor probe connected to it and would have 2 output, one can be used for heating and the other for chilling.

Contoller uses the probe to check water temp and would either turn the chiller or heater on when required.

14. Reef Maniac

Correct - you couple a temperature probe (e.g. PT 100) to the unit, and it then switches one of two relays, depending on your settings. The relays can handle a few Amps (cannot remember the specifics), but because I wanted it to also control my chiller, I used the controller's relays to switch larger relays that could easily handle the in-rush current of a chiller's compressor starting up, as well as the back-EMF when it switches off.

More detail on this thread: Using industrial controllers for a marine aquarium - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Hennie

15. lIghty

lIghty

Depending on how you interface the chiller switching it's recommended to also use a delay on timer, this will prevent the chiller from switching off and back on too quickly, which can cause the compressor to fail.

16. Reef Maniac

Agreed - this is one of the nice things about the TAIE controllers, they can be set with whatever amount of hysteresis one wants. In my case, the chiller will switch on at a certain level, cool the tank down by 0.5°C (if I remember correctly, the settings were done some 3-4 years ago...), and only switch on again once the water has heated up by that 0.5°C - on my 1200 litre system, that takes a few hours...

Hennie

maxisoft likes this.
  17. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Hmm good info thanks guys, if I am going to want a clam one day when I am big and the tanks bio load has settled I am going to need one of these as my temp flux is way to much ESP with the MH's.

Recent Posts