keeping tank warm

Reaction score
I have read a couple of threads lately withppl worying about there tanks getting too cold during prolonged power outages i have a sugestion buble wrap no dont laugh ot is used in glasshouses to keep plants warm so why not our fishies first of all you need the big one the one that is 10-12mm thick then you spray a fine mist of water on the glas and place it on boble side towards the glass as long as the glass was crean befor you did it it will stick for a long time i have heard reports of 5 years on some glasshouses you can also use it on youre house windows if you cant aford double glasing this has the same efect but a lot cheeper

This sounds like an interesting solution.
With how many layers would you need to wrap your tank?? Just one?

how many blankets do you sleep with? the more you put the longer it wil take to cool off but from my reserch one layer should slow youre heatloss by 1/2 so if your tank temp is droping 1deg per hour after instalation it should only drop .5deg/hour

Never seen or tried that but have only seen the generators & heaters used.
bubble wrap is cheap

Anybody tried those silver sheets that are often used in expeditions to keep warm
I suppose even with using ups/generators/heaters doing everything to conserve heat will help

if left on all year round this should reduce youre power consumed by youre heater aswell just dont cover the viewing panes

ja long term a heater will still be required but this wil make the battery in the ups last a lot longer or if you dont have a ups or geny might just keep the temp up long enough to save the tank a bottle of peroxide and some buble wrap is a prety cheap emergincy kit

if this is successful, imaginge how great 4 peices of 20mm foam the size of your DT will be?

Bubble wrap (free/cheap)
Silver blanket (expensive)
Foam(free/cheap)
Your blankets (available)

& if you really serious about your marines get naked & cover the tank & yourself with a blanket.:biggrin:
(Heat transfer ---Body at 37cel )

I can see a few blue reefers out there

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom