Keeping octopuses

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by the fox, 6 Apr 2008.

1. the fox

the fox

Hi

I have no experience with marine tanks but i used to breed freshwater fish with jason (ocean i think) and i have loads left.

I was thinking in a few months if it could be possible for me to buy an octopus?

I think he (ocean) said there are some people here that could import 1 for me. True?

So beening a rookie and salt water i few question about the octopus:

1. How big will the tank need to be.
    2. about how much would everything it cost?
    3. Could i keep any other marine life it there?
    4. What must i feed it?
    5. What maintenance would i have to do?
    6. What type of octopus would you recommend.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

Welcome Fox

Interesting project, you reckon you you want to look after an Octo before understanding marine tanks and water parameters.

Good Luck

PS: DragonReef has some interesting pics and info on octopus.

5. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

bas your on great to see you, warr i can help him with everything
    I am sure that there are plenty of people that can help you here!

DragonReef please comment

6. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

Read this on a website somewhere and pasted it here.

The expected life span of an octopus is short. In the wild, the males die after breeding while the females stay alive just long enough to care for the eggs until they hatch. Even if you prevent an octopus from breeding it will seldom grow older than 1-2 years.

Puts me off, spending all that money just to see it die as your tank has just matured.

Ocean likes this.
  7. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

they are awsome for the time they last though

8. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Let's 1st keep nemo alive before we go for something bigger... deal? :thumbup:

9. the fox

the fox Thread Starter

Thank for the vid.
    I Don't really mind if an octopus lasts only a few years (nothing lasts forever).
    Henkhugo: No, nemo is duik boring.

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

nemo might be boring but 1st keep one alive for longer than a year before you venture into more advance animals.....

11. shan

shan

first - i recommend you keep a marine tank for at least a year - put in the live rock - go through the cycle, as Henk said keep nemo alive, keep your KH at 8-10 and Ca at 400 -440, nitrates at below 5, all all the other stuff and only once you are sure you got it - then start to keep something like an octo

you would not believe how much you do not know and how much work it actually is even when you have a close friend helping you and a whole forum behind you.

take baby steps - please do not rush it. An octo requires a species tank, so nothing else can go in it - tank size is dependent on size of octo, some octo's live only 6 months some 2 years. problem is when you get an oto - you do not know how old it is so it could be 1.6 months old and die 3 months after you get it.

these are fantastic creatures and should only be handled by an expreienced marine aquarist - i am not saying you cannot handle it but i second Henk - keep nemo alive first

12. nic3322

nic3322 regal tang

go ahead with it if you think you manage

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Guys - Octopii are an "advanced" specie to keep, for the following reasons (my opinion):
    - they are EXTREMELY intelligent, and if you cannot keep them stimulated, then they might want to get of the tank, or perhaps do something that will kill them
    - they are EXTREMELY strong, and can dislodge any rocks, pumps, plumbing, etc...
    - they do not require major lighting, BUT, they do need to have the tank completely enclosed, otherwise they might want to "take a leave of absence"....
    - the need to be fed with the correct food, to keep them healthy, and also the correct number of times, I think that they too should only be fed 3 to 4 times per week
    - the filtration should be HUGE for octopii, as to keep the water quality very good - I am quite sure that they can succumb to bacteria infections if the water quality is not on par with a fully blown reef tank system....
    - they are also very messy - so, filtration, filtration, filtration

That's my take on this...

BUT, other than that - A VERY WARM WELCOME TO MASA, FOX!

BTW: Before you look at this, PLEASE understand that you should KNOW water parameters, filtration, plumbing, rock-scaping/aqua-scaping, salinity, chemical balances, etc. BEFORE you try something like this. It could possibly kill the animal, and cost you a LOT of money, if thing go wrong for you with this project!

Good luck, and keep us updated with your decision/s. And progress (if you decide to go on with this).

Ocean likes this.
  14. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

i had an octopus and would not recommend keeping one if you have no marine experience. They extremely demanding. They also about as intelligent as a dog so they need constant mental stimulation. Not advised to put anything in the tank with them. As boring as nemo might be, it is the best place to start.

15. the fox

the fox Thread Starter

I have decide that it is a good idea to get a small nano tank from jason (ocean).

Thanks for the help.

Will make new tread for the nano

Ocean likes this.
  16. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

17. the fox

the fox Thread Starter

thanks

Recent Posts