Keeping dwarf sea ponies

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by Tony, 26 Oct 2011.

1. Tony

Tony

Hi guys

How difficuilt are dwarf seahorses to keep?

What's the minimum sized tank I can use?

Are normal salinities fine for them?

How long do they live?

This is what I know so far and I want to learn more before taking the plunge, so any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I know they dont like flow and need something to cling onto like macroalgae or artificial "plants". They only eat newly hatched brineshrimp as the food is small enough. No mechanical filtration is needed as you want to keep the brine shrimp circulating in the tank for them to feed the all the time. I will however do water changes with my main display daily to keep nutrients down. Lighting is not important but they do need a day night cycle. No other corals, aiptasia, hydroids or majano in the tank as these can sting and kill them. Three or four of them can be kept in the tank.

Is there anything I have left out?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

tagging along

4. pXius

pXius

Some major aquatic stores in the US keep them in their refugiums, weird right?

You can keep them with macro algae, especially something like caulerpa where they can "hold on" to with their tails. I've seen some tanks where they use plastic plants for them to hang on to as well.

The Tank bread ones you can get from Jungle Aquatics live for 4 years. And because they're tank bread you don't need to worry about getting them to eat.

5. pXius

pXius

Oh, and the Sea horse display at jungle Aquatics wasn't even that big, maybe 15L with 2 horses or so. They don't swim around much so I don't think space is that big a problem.

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

7. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

8. ken

ken

Dwarfs are extreamly time consuming.. Live food should be supplied at all times as they do not eat frozen foods.. The cultures required can be very hard to keep running at times and if ur cultures crash ur seahorses go without food.. They should be kept in small aquariums cause if u keep them in large tanks the food density has to be much more than in small aquariums.. The seahorses that jungle aquatics supply are h.erectus which is a much larger species.. They grow till about 15cm in length.. They are trained to eat frozen mysis and are a lot easier to keep alive and breed very readily in captivity.. and are a lot hardier than dwarfs.. @Tony.. If u are interested lemmi knw and I cn hook u up a pair as I'm buying new breeding stock in awhile then mabey we could do a group buy

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

@Dale6 was planning on keeping some and I think @Steven warren has and is breeding them. I know Andre (The Hypnotist) does have and is breeding them, but he is no longer on the forum...I think both of the above can assist u with contacting him though Tony as they received their stock from him. Think he stays in JHB so would be a good person to bounce ideas off...careful he doesnt hypnotise u though. ;)

10. ken

ken

Yep.. @Steve Warren is breeding them and having great success... Andre does breed with them but is having more success with h.erectus.. Steve is the real pro with seahorses so he can give u real good advice.. All my knowledge on then came from steve and andre and abit on personal experiance

11. mytank

mytank

When it comes to water parameters? Are they happy water parameters or do they require anything special?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

12. ken

ken

Just keep phos and nitrites low.. With macro algae growing and a nice skimmer it will sort it out nicely

13. mytank

mytank

Thanks Ken! Now where do I get a pair that eat frozen food in JHB. Got a perfect 30l nano on my kitchen counter that has been cycling for four months tons of cyclopods and a nice bit of tonga live rock. Need to get some macro algae though. Water params are perfect in this little nano. Also have tons of cyclo-peeze

Sent from my SGH-i917 Microsoft Windows Phone 7 (Mango) using Board Express

14. ken

ken

Sure thing bud... Jungle aquatics has them but they are quite pricey.. Andre charges the same but all in all 800 for one is a very good price for cb seahorses.. Macro algae u can get from me as I have various types growing.. A nano is perfect for them... U just might have to modify the lighting to grow some macro algae.. Where in jhb u from? Didn't I meet u at the jhb meeting at nj's place?

15. mytank

mytank

I was there :) Short porra :) hmmm the lighting is simple florescent light (white) might have to get some LED's?

Do you have a pic of the species?

16. ken

ken

I rate the normal white will be ok... Ill post a pic when I get home tonight

17. mytank

mytank

What's the species name can also look it up. What corals are safe with them?

18. ken

ken

Hippocampus Erectus... Not coral that need basic flow.. Seahorses aren't really good swimmers so their tank needs little or no flow.. Try seahorse.org... They have tons of photos and loads of info

19. raflo

raflo

ok tagging

can they be kept with other livestock?

20. ken

ken

Not really... But can be kept with pipefish .. Adding other fish into the tank would just create competition for food.. Other fish are fast eaters and a seahorse can't really move around fast. They are best suited in a species only tank. With macro algae or lots of hitching posts

21. Tony

Tony Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info

Recent Posts