Keeping Aquarium Glass Clean

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Trine, 12 Apr 2010.

1. Trine

Trine

Over the past few days I have seen some beautiful reef tanks on this site and also on google images. I noticed that some of the tanks are immaculate. The glass is spotless whereas others have different types of growth on th glass and look dirty. Im new to this so Im wondering what is right. I kind of like the glass being clean, slightly obsessive some might say. What is best??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Some guys only clean the front glass, others do all of them - your choice really. some use magnet cleaners, other use scrapers with blades.

4. Trine

Trine Thread Starter

Thanks. Much appreciated.

5. neo

neo

I'm new to this but.....
    I do a quick wipe with magnet cleaner each evening i get home, makes me relax after the work-day before the kids-time, do it on 3 panes cause i have 3 viewing sides.
    Then i do a scrape-and-scrub each weekend and a good cleaning of outside glass after i'm finished with anything that might splash water on the outside.
    I clean one pane of my DSB so i can see into it nicely, once a week, nothing serious here.
    I do a thorough cleaning of the skimmer/return chambers once a month, including skimmer/pump, but i stagger this over 2 weekends, during water-change time.
    The longest i spend on cleaning is about 15mins.

6. Trine

Trine Thread Starter

Thanks

I have a a tropical tank at the moment and I do a fair amount of maintanance already. I really enjoy it and find it very relaxing. Thanks though I will keep it in mind when I eventually get my tank..

7. crispin

crispin

i dont thgink ive seen you on here before so welcome to masa trine.

clean glass is a pain to be honest but it really improves the look of the tank. Some planes i leave 'dirty' which have algae growing on them and vegeterian fish feed off that, but these are the non viewing panes. If i use the glass to view the tank with then its best to keep it clean.

learning about what grows on the glass and why they grow can be very valluable to a marine tank. for example recognising a sudden outbreak of diatoms shows that i probably over fed a few days before and thus i cut down slightly, while dark green hair algae shows there is a long term problem.

as tobes said, we use a magnet most often to rub the viewing panes and that clears off most of the easy algaes (diatoms i was talking about before) while we sometimes need a blade to scrape down more tenacious and harder algaes like corroline and GHA.

If you spill water the drops will evaporate and leave a salt residue on the glass, I use a window cleaning devise withja sponge on one side and a flat rubber section on the other (same thing people use to wash car windscreens) as this disolves the salt and i can take off all water with the rubber section leaving it nice and clean.

having said all of the above, its what i am meant to do, i dont do it nearly often enough!:p

8. b-rad

b-rad

Best Glass Cleaner is that Tunze one, pretty expensive but will take off any algae

9. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i got the baby tunze magnet cleaner, and the safety warnings on there isnt for nothing, some powerfull magnets especially when you compare it to he cheap glass cleaners you get in every lfs.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Front glass and two side I clean with a magnet. And sump front glass as well. I enjoy the view in there.

For back glass I use an Ice scraper. Those that the cold country people use to clean the car front glass in the mornings. Works very nice. Got it from Crispin. Thanks dude...

11. Trine

Trine Thread Starter

lovin the info

Lovin all the info Im getting on this forum. Impressed!!

12. Trine

Trine Thread Starter

Thanks

I will look out for that one. Cheers. Im in the Uk so hope they sell it here.

13. brentnorm

brentnorm

If not I am coming over in a months time.

Recent Posts