Keeping a Copperband

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by VicZA, 7 Jul 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

Hi All,

I am considering getting myself a Copperband but before doing this, I would like to make sure that my tank suits the fish and that the fish suits the tank.

My tank is a 4-foot mixed reef with a selection of fish, inverts, lps, sps and softies.

Here is a list of my stock - please can you check any potential problems:

FISH
    2 x Banana Wrasse
    1 x Leopard Wrasse
    1 x Yellow Tang
    1 x Tail-spot Blenny
    1 x Bicolor Blenny
    1 x Stripped Goby (with Pistol Shrimp)
    1 x Purple Fire Goby
    2 x Red Fire Goby
    1 x True Percula Clown
    1 x False Percula Clown
    1 x Jester Goby
    3 x Yellow-tailed Damsel
    1 x Matted Filefish (soon to be sold)

INVERTS & OTHERS
    2 x Red Fire Shrimp
    1 x Red-legged Hermit
    1 x Blue-legged Hermit
    1 x Pistol Shrimp (with Stripped Goby)
    1 x Marble Starfish
    2 x Super Nassarius Snails (1 may be dead)
    10-15 x Turban Snails
    3 x Bubble-tip Anemones
    various mushrooms

CORAL
    1 x large colony of Pulsing Xenia
    1 x medium colony of Star Polyps
    1 x small Hammerhead Coral
    1 x medium Green Torch Coral
    1 x small Plate Coral
    2 x large colonies Zoas
    2 x small colonies Zoas
    1 x frag Green Birdsnest
    1 x frag Green Cauliflower Coral
    1 x small Grey Acan
    1 x large Soft Finger Leather Coral

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I cant see any issues with regards to your current stock list. The most important thing is just finding one that takes prepared foods. Take note that they will generally not take food such as flakes. I have one for over 2 years and it still only eats frozen Mysis and brine. Mine is also a slowish eater so it has to be target fed with a turkey baster. Its a bit more labour intensive but the reward is great since they are awesome fish.

4. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Thanks Marius. By the way, I had some rave reports from Archie regarding your setup and especially your recordia collection ... would love to come have a look one day

5. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

@mariusmeyer Lots of people say "don't get one - they eat the sps polyps" .... that true? Any experience with this ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

They are not corallivores by nature, although you might always get the exception to the rule. Some will peck at aiptasia and manjano, some wont touch it and some will decimate an aiptasia plague in weeks.
    The important thing is to ensure you have a constant supply of amphipods, copepods and other critters in your rocks, as this will sustain your CBB until it decides to start taking frozen foods. This can only be achieved in a mature tank with very little other predation on mocrofauna.
    Withe the wrasses present, combined with bioload and suspected age of tank, i would advise younot to keep it.
    Should you however decide to get one, i have found black mussel, sligtly split open, to be almost irresistable to these beautiful fish.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

You downloaded uncle Bob's Kindel on fly's .....

8. irie ivan

Haha, no, not quite, its called experience.... The only fish ever to eat out my hand... Except my trigger, but he was trying to eat my hand :p my cbb in previous system, he was spoilt, i lived a few blocks from beach and mussels and pieces of pod covered rocks were daily treats.. People use to bring me rocks covered in aiptasia for him to eat ;)
    The one i have now, its been two months, still wont touch prepared foods and hardly shows interest in mussels, but when i flip liverock upside down, he attacks it with vigour!
    Had i not had a mature tank, and had i had fellow pod grazers, he would have been empty belly up long ago.

9. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

mmm ... the more I read up about the CBB the more I tend to think it's not right fish for me right now. I think maybe I should investigate the Nudibranch ....

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

For a hundred + bucks the uncle bob download is invaluable.

Not sure I agree with him on some of his views like the copperband. But, very informative in general.

11. irie ivan

If for aiptasia control, there isnt really a surefire way. Believe me, aiptasia eating nudis have their challenges too.
    Physical removal is best.

12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I totally agree with Ivan.. if you are buying the fish for aptasia control I would rather suggest you buy a bottle of Aphasia X by Red Sea. after reading some rave reviews on filefish eating aphasia I went and bought one... had it I'm ny tank for almost two months and it never touched not even one aptaisa.. a slow eater at first but after few days it was first on the line for flakes and pellets... sadly I over stressed it one day with my stupidity and it died.. my friend has already been through two cbb in his 2m tank and they both end up starving to death with all the aptaisa around them.
    before you buy a cbb ask them to feed the fish some dry or frozen food and if it doesn't take it don't buy it. In my opinion it's very difficult and time consuming to train this fish to eat food they are not accustomed to.

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Well I suppose CBB 's are a no no. Or are they....

I have two.

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

if you get one that takes frozen food in the shop then it should be ok. Just make sure it eats the food as many will suck it in and just a few seconds later spit it out again.

Recent Posts