Keep a MANDARIN DRAGONET

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by devesh.r, 21 Dec 2011.

1. devesh.r

devesh.r

Good morning Guys.

What is the proper requirements and to keep and sustain a Mandarin in my Tank long term.
    tank is running for 6months now.
    This fish is the reason i started with a marine tank.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

Please tell us size of tank and amount of liverock etc and if poss post pick of tank

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I actually Posted about the Mandarin the other day as they need a Mature Tank and usually don't eat supplemented foods..etc frozen...flakes...blah blah blah....then I saw this on the Web and posted a Thread....then I found out that the Green Mandarin is also in the ORA List...
    ORA Certified Spotted Mandarin... - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

MandarinFish
    Callionymids
    Caring for a Mandarin Goby
    Mandarin Fish Special Nutritional Requirements - Saltwaterfish.com Community
    FEEDING MANDARIN DRAGONET - Rate My Fish Tank
    Training & Feeding a Mandarin - Nano-Reef.com Forums

"Established reef tank" seems to be around 9months...if memory serves me right...you'r Tank is about 3-4months...just a bit longer to go...

Last edited: 21 Dec 2011
    Quintonv likes this.
  5. mandarinman

mandarinman

Please tell us size of tank and amount of liverock etc and if poss post pick of tank

6. devesh.r

devesh.r Thread Starter

sorry

tankis 1.2m x450 x450 around 280-300l with sump.

Have 20kg live rock. and 5kg crushed coral.

live stock : 4x yellow tail damsel
    2x clown fish
    2x cleaner shrim
    1x dotty back
    4x blue chromis

7. devesh.r

devesh.r Thread Starter

And one fire shrimp

8. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

They are beautiful though. Ive had my one now for the last month and he is really fat! My tank is only 2 and a half months old. He eats every night frozen super shrimp! I havent had a problem. It all just depends on how the fish is when you purchase it. If the fish looks generally unhealthy then they most likely will not last but if he looks well fed and is accepting frozen food why not.

Remember your tank will supply a natural food source for them as well.

9. belindamotion

I'm not to clued up on Compatability...on this Chart all seems to be fine EXCEPT the Dottyback(Basslet?)...they say...caution required...

Marine Compatability Chart

10. belindamotion

I think you were REALLY VERY LUCKY...if he does decide to get Mandarins, after reading all the info...he really SHOULD INSIST in actually seeing the Fish take Flakes or prepared foods at the LFS before he takes them...it can so easily "swing" the other way where he tries and tries and thefish just refuses prepared foods...the consequences is just to sad...:(

devesh.r likes this.
  11. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

When i purchased mine i went through to the LFS and asked them for a block of frozen food put it in to the tank and waited to see if the mandarin would take it. And it did. Very lucky indeed. Considering i see them even in mature tanks looking like paris hilton! :p

I agree belinda those dottybacks are a bit of a no no. They dont care what size of the fish they will take them on. I have a royal gramma much better and same colours!

12. devesh.r

devesh.r Thread Starter

Thank you Belinda for all the info.

Appreciate it.

13. devesh.r

devesh.r Thread Starter

WOW hopping i acn be as lucky as you nd get me one that eats frozen food.

Thanks man.

14. belindamotion

Sorry...I could help noticing you mentioned it eating frozen Shrimp..I remembered the paragraph when I was scanning Links for devesh.r...
    You also building up your "live food's"..? remember you'r Tank is only 2 1/2 months..very little Copods..:blush:
    Live foods can be bought on a regular basis, cultured in separate vessels, in an attached fishless refugium. Starter cultures for these organisms can be purchased from companies that you can find on the Internet using the search terms: "live plankton fish food".
    Callionymids

15. devesh.r

devesh.r Thread Starter

If I add small pieces of live rock in the sump will that increase the pod population in my tank.

16. belindamotion

Something else I forgot to mention...now..there is a debate about "rinse/don't rinse"..but I find it's good to know this and you can always either choose to do it or not...I err on the side of caution, so I've taken to rinsing my Brine Shrimp..I'll rather not lose fish and then come to the conclusion that there might be some truth to it...:p
    Urgent help needed Fish Dying for no reason - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

17. belindamotion

From what I've read on MASA...they either encourage Refugiums or some "Cheato" in the Sump...apparently it's a nice spot for Pods to accumilate...I'm sure the more experience reefers will give a couple of better methods to increase you'r pods...:blush:
    Replenishing pod population - Marine Aquariums of South Africa Refugium..
    Growing Pods In Dsb's - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

18. Annoying

Annoying

Do you know if the bacterie they are talking about is in the water or living in the subatrate and rock. Bacause if they are water living organisms, then the regular water changes should keep them in check shouldn't they, according to the "in one years time" reference they use?

Algae scrubbers work for nutrition export and also pod population growth

19. belindamotion

"in one years time" was an example..not an actual water change one's a year...:p..maybe you should read the Thread...:005::005::005:..not being funny...:p..it's just the Thread didn't originally start out about rinse vs non-rinse..:tt2:..eitherway...we only do.. say...25% water change at a time..some do less...so I can't say that frequent water changes would control it...logically at that percentage I don't see how...:blush:..so I err on the side of caution and "inform"...up to the Reefer to decide..:)

Algae Scrubbers • View topic - Algae Scrubber Basics: The Summary

Yip...also more than one use for Cheato...:)

Some Refugium Info..
    Best Plants and Algae for Refugia | Reefland
    Best Plants and Algae for Refugia - Part II "Vegetable Filters" | Reefland
    ....but guess normal "Cheato in Sump will do the trick...but then you can't really have Algae Scrubber and Cheato together...pointless really...isn't it...?
    Cryptic Zones

20. Annoying

Annoying

I is a very lazy reader:p

Sorry, my post wasn't a clear. I didn't mean a water change once a year, I meant the regular water changes we do weekly. If the juice from the cube increase the certain amount of bacteria in the tank, then most likely with regular water changes, the juice will remain at a lower concentration throughout the tank thus limiting the growth of the bacteria. Also most of these juices are proteins and thus are easy to remove with good skimming.

21. student

student

I am also one of the lucky ones to get a mandarin that eats all sorts of foods.

if you lucky enough to find one that does eat prepared foods, I think you will need to get rid of or reduce the number of chromis and damsels you have.. the mandarin is a very slow and cautious eater and those fish go into massive feeding frenzys and will put it off by the fast movements and they'll clean up the food in no time, leaving the mandarin hungry!
    Or you will ahve to feed large amounts of food to get some to it and well, that could cause problem of its own.

They are one of the most incredibly beautiful and interesting fish to watch!!

Recent Posts