Kalkwasser Stirrer vs. Calcium Reactor

What Calcium Additive System Do You Run ?

• Calcium Reactor - SPS Dominated system

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Calcium Reactor - NON SPS Dominated system

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Kalkwasser Stirrer

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Manual Dosing

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I don't add Calcium, Corals Sux

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the only crappy thing about my Carx is that it needs to be checked every 2nd or 3rd day,otherwise the water from the outlet pipe tends to slow (the drip rate) or theres too much of bubble build up,then requires bleeding

agree. its a pita to check the flow rate and its not even flowing! takes awhile but as i said once you get your head around it its not such a mission

You guys are scaring me, I reckon the Kalk Stirrer maybe the way to go.

but that is not an easy way out. if you have less evapouration then you have less kalk been put into the system.
if thats your main source of CA then what happen when it comes winter=less evap.?
just to throw a spanner in the works:p

dude,use the slurry method in the mean time until you save up enough for the Carx.in my case i first got my kalkstirrer then the Carx

agree. its a pita to check the flow rate and its not even flowing! takes awhile but as i said once you get your head around it its not such a mission
true its a pleasure otherwise.
i was planning on getting the AM Carx,now i see you also have to fiddle with yours. Imarine mentioned,once its hooked up theres no fiddling required on the AM reactors

yeah if you hook it up right. mines hundreds except the flow rate!
can never get it to the desired flow rate.

true its a pleasure otherwise.
i was planning on getting the AM Carx,now i see you also have to fiddle with yours. Imarine mentioned,once its hooked up theres no fiddling required on the AM reactors

i dont get airblocks or any thing like that. just the flow issue

Any comments on the Reef Ccto product ?
ive got it,but still gotta fiddle every 2-3 days to make sure drip rate is correct aswell as no bubble build up.i know Dragonreef and Sunburst are also running the same reactors with nos hassels.but mines is the older model though

If I had a smaller demand of Ca would I be able to get away with a smaller reactor.
Yes and NO! As your corals grow, they will require more calcium, carbonates etc. Your demand will increase and soon you will find yourself requiring a larger reactor. Go for one as large as you can afford. As your demand increases, all you have to do is increase the drip rate and bubble rate.

Single chamber reef octo. Since i have filled it to the brim with media, i have not had any issues with it. The fluidising action is too much on it with too little media, hence the broken impellors, gas buildup etc..

Single chamber reef octo. Since i have filled it to the brim with media, i have not had any issues with it. The fluidising action is too much on it with too little media, hence the broken impellors, gas buildup etc..
ok so its like mines.also filled mines to the brim using Tunze media (pretty please with it).also about 15 % Zeomag (magnesium media)
what is your current Ca and alk levels of the tank aswell as the alk level of the reactor?
also,how many bubbles per second and how many drips per second?
sorry for all the questions ;)

Dunno alk of effluent, but tank running stable at 8dkh. Have not tested ca, but suspect it to be around 470ppm, as was there on ;ast test and alk is stable.
Bubble rate is at 2 per second and drip at 40ml per minute.
No poroblem with asking, you know i love answering.

Dunno alk of effluent, but tank running stable at 8dkh. Have not tested ca, but suspect it to be around 470ppm, as was there on ;ast test and alk is stable.
Bubble rate is at 2 per second and drip at 40ml per minute.
No poroblem with asking, you know i love answering.
cool thanks man.
found my alk of tank to be stable at 6.5DKH, Ca 396.need to increase drip rate in order to increase alk

Shit, so that means one of these beasts are going be R10K + :(
For that you will get the controller as well

the only crappy thing about my Carx is that it needs to be checked every 2nd or 3rd day,otherwise the water from the outlet pipe tends to slow (the drip rate) or theres too much of bubble build up,then requires bleeding
See below.

Nope. IMO a waste of money. What can a kalk stirrer do that a kalk reservoir cannot?

dude,use the slurry method in the mean time until you save up enough for the Carx.in my case i first got my kalkstirrer then the Carx
Agreed. In the event that calc drops below recommended values i would go slurry. However if its just a matter of keeping up with recommended levels i would rather stick to the kalk reservoir. Less maintenance. AND less foreign solids been dumped into your tank.

Any comments on the Reef Ccto product ?
I ran the AM for 5 years. No problems. Currently running the Reef Octo. Dual chamber, Cheap and no problems

cool thanks man.
found my alk of tank to be stable at 6.5DKH, Ca 396.need to increase drip rate in order to increase alk
By increasing your drip rate to the point that it is no longer absorbed by the media, means that you will be dumping CO2 into your tank. Forming Carbonic acid, depressing pH. If you must drive your reactor this hard allow the effluent to run through a tube (gravel cleaner tube) of crushed coral.

no,inlet is correct.if on the outlet pipe,it will tend to clog up
Agreed... by just having on the outlet, the positive buildup of pressure in the reactor can cause a leak. However for those experiencing this inconsistent drip rate, a valve on inlet and outlet will resolve this. Set the flow slightly quicker than normal with the inlet, and then choke it back ever so slightly with the outlet.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom