kalkwasser - slaked lime

Hi Johanpm,

NO!! PH of Kalkwasser is over 12! So the reason we drip when lghts are off is that photosynthesis stops in the tank and the PH drops slightly and the increase in PH when dripping Kalkwasser is minimised! I drip mine at abbout a drop a second at night when DT lights are off and sump lights are on. 2litres Kalkwasser takes about 45min to finish. Hope this helps! I have a about a 300 litre system.

Why cant kalk be dripped 24/7 in small amounts.Reefers using kalk stirrers or auto top ups are pumping kalk 24/7.

Hi Aslam,

Kalk stirrers connected to auto top ups are not "pumping 24/7" I am sure if this was done the PH would most probably be increased quiet significantly. Auto top ups only pump a small amount (maybe half a litre or so) and this should be into a high flow area in the sump to insure quick dispersment into the sump to minimise the high consentration of kalkwasser with a high ph!

JD167, to run a auto top up only at night kind of defeats the point of it, but yes If possible try to top up with Kalkwasser when the DT lights are off! at night for most of us! But I still feel that to try and maintain a stable PH and minimise the effects of adding kalkwasser is that it rather be dripped into the sump with DT lights off! Significant swings in PH needs to be avoided us mush as possible, stable parameters equels happy healthy livestock!

Adding Kalkwasser is small amounts into a system that is large enough to "absorb" the high PH is key...what I am saying is this..

2litres of kalkwasser added to 100 litres of water compared to 2litres of kalkwasser added to 500 litres of water... get my point? I think each one should know the effect that a certain amount of Kalkwasser has on their tank! Added to this is the time frame. one added by pouring 2 litres into the tank compared to dripping the same amount over a period of an hour?!?!?

Kalkwasser should be dripped into the system, when the lights are off, because with the use of Kalkwasser, the PH will raise around 0.1 to 0.2.
1 drop per second per 100 litre tank volume. 5 drops per second for a 500 litre tank.
Always keep an eye on the phosphate level. The phosphate level should be 0.05 mg/l. I think it is clear, that Kalkwasser reduces your phosphate level.
With adding to much kalkwasser, the phosphate level drops below 0.05 mg/l. If your system needs a high amount of calcium and you can keep your calcium level with kalkwasser, but your phosphate level will drop below 0.05 mg/l, you should feed more or add phosphate.
Do not use Kalkwasser, if your PH is 8.3 to 8.4.
Keep also an eye on your KH level. Add bicarb to raise the KH.
Kalkwasser should not be added where the pump sucks the water in.
Otherwise you will get lots of limescale in the pump. Kalkwasser should not be added at the same spot (and at the same time) where the water from your calcium reactor drips in.

Keep Kalkwasser always in a sealed container and when added, make sure your bottle or whatever you use, will have only a tiny hole to suck air. Just enough to let the water drip. If kalkwasser gets into contact with the atmosphere, the carbondioxide from the atmosphere will react with the kalkwasser, the PH of the kalkwasser drops and the the kalkwasser becomes useless.
A open jar of kalkwasser will be after two days useless!

Only a small amount of the Kalkwasser powder (calcium hydroxide) goes into solution with water.

At 20°C 0.17gram per litre RO water! At higher temperatures, less calcium hydroxide will go into solution.

Back
Top Bottom