kalkwasser question

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by wookie, 11 Dec 2014.

1. wookie

wookie

Hi guys just trying to under stand kalkwasser as i have been dosing for a while and don't want to raise my ph too much which is 8.4 but i read that ppl add it to ro for evaporation and that's the confusing stuff. I add it to keep ph stable is this correct. I was told to raise my ph to try kill gha. But not working so raising my mg slowly.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

dosing pump will work for this I reckon, I use this method and thinks it works the best.

this is not the most stable method as evaporation will vary....I used to do this but didnt like the fact it wasnt exactly stable and sometimes my top off pump got stuck and dumped too much in my tank.

Treat the cause not the symptom, IE what is feeding the algae? over feeding? poor skimming? Your live rock?

Last edited: 11 Dec 2014
    Reaper likes this.
  4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If you are fighting GHA then as archiecrain said, better to concentrate on what is causing it. Are you running anything for phosphate removal? Also a higher alkalinity is known to help with GHA.

Reaper, Rookie and butcherman like this.
  5. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Thanks guys yea feeding once a day lights on for 4 hrs a day running phos guard in a reactor, scrubbing rock as much as possible although no3 and Phosphates read zero my testing and lfs testing , wanting to add another pump to get more flow as well.

6. Reaper

Reaper

post us a pic of your dt, with some closer shots of the substrate. Lots of times GHA is caused by decomposing detritus somewhere where there's little or no flow. I have a total system volume of just under 200 l, and I have 6500 l/h circulation - a 2000 l/h return pump, 2000 l/h power head in the dt, another 500 l/h in dt, and two 1000 l/h wave makers. Almost no detritus lying on the substrate, and I can see a vast difference in my GHA bloom that I had.

Have a look at this thread:

Good advise for GHA problems - Marine Aquariums South Africa

7. NO3

NO3

Kalk should also be added at night time to avoid ph Spikes!

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

A slow and steady kalk addition wont spike tank pH if added correctly, day or night ;)

TaahirS likes this.
  9. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

kalkwasser

Well i lost 2 wave makers due to load shedding so put in a mother of a wave maker and am running a wp25 am waiting for a wp40 to add, i find that the corals get blasted to kingdom come so battle to find a good direction to aim the wave makers , i have cheato in the sump and have put in an algae scrubber which has just started the algae on it and run phos guard in a reactor my back glass is full of algae and scrub that weekly, here's a pic

20140722_081136.jpg

Last edited: 19 Dec 2014
  10. CameL

CameL

How old is that tank, looks pretty new to me, if it's new then that algae is sort of normal, if you view my tank thread you will also see that algae, of which there is none now.

11. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

The tank has been running 10 months now that's an earlier photo that i had its actually worse now.

12. viper357

Are you using your own RO water for top ups? And are you using NSW or mixing your own salt? Have you got a skimmer?

Is the algae only on the back glass?

Last edited: 20 Dec 2014
  13. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Get ro from my lfs and mix my own salt water and yes back glass full of algae, rocks also got bad patches on them keep pulling it off but have caraline coming slowly as well.

14. viper357

Do you know what the TDS of their RO water is? Or is there any way you can get it tested? I used to buy RO water from an LFS in Durban, always had algae issues until I discovered the internet and got a TDS meter :p, the reading was about 40 if I recall correctly :(

It is best to first find out what is causing the hair algae before trying all sorts of different methods to cure it, once we find the cause then we can narrow down a set of treatments that should hopefully get rid of it. :)

15. wookie

wookie Thread Starter

Know don't know the tds of the ro water but looking into buying an ro unit soon, still trying to solve the gha problem by elimination

Recent Posts