Kalkwasser In Depth

Reaction score
I use acetic acid. only reason I use it is because I bought 25l of it for curing my rock used it once never use it agian for curing rocks and still have 23l the make like 460l of 5% vinegar.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Many thanks Kalkwasser for the article.... I have doing this for the past 2.5 years without any adverse effects to my tank or inhabitants......

Only difference being - with my total water volume size (870 litres) I use a LOT more calcium hydroxide and a LOT more vinegar at a time, and I also mix this with 1.75 litres of water........

But thanks for the confirmation via the web-site/page...

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yes indeed Kalkwasser. I have found that the +-75 to 100ml of this total solution that I put into my sump for dispersal into my tank, dissappears nicely into my 870 litres of water, without any adverse effects.... BTW: My calcium hydroxide powder actually dissolves QUITE NICELY into the white vinegar when I mix it up.... I then only afterwards add the vinegar/calcium hydroxide solution to the water - I sometimes use RO water, sometimes use tank water for the "carrying fluid"..... (solution fluid)...

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
BTW: My calcium levels are at 450 to 480 and my alkalinity levels around 12/13 - always (differs slightly depending on how often I dose or not)..... And I have never had a "snowstorm" in my tank...

Reaction score
Yes indeed Kalkwasser. I have found that the +-75 to 100ml of this total solution that I put into my sump for dispersal into my tank, dissappears nicely into my 870 litres of water, without any adverse effects.... BTW: My calcium hydroxide powder actually dissolves QUITE NICELY into the white vinegar when I mix it up.... I then only afterwards add the vinegar/calcium hydroxide solution to the water - I sometimes use RO water, sometimes use tank water for the "carrying fluid"..... (solution fluid)...
Hi Jacques, so you add +-75 - 100ml at a time, but how often?

Reaction score
Oh ok - that's probably why I have never had a snowstorm yet. I have always used vinegar to act as the catalyst to split off the calcium ions from the hydrogen and oxygen.......
That's when I thought there has to be an better way to do this so searched the web and that link was the best I could find gave it a shot and sine then not one problem.