Kalkwasser drip

Papitto

PatrickF
Reaction score
Hey MASA,

I want to dose Kalk from a DIY drip.
My Ph is consistently at 7.7 which I would to bring up slowly.
I have some LPS and SPS and I want to test the benefit of Kalk.
I will get it dripping @ 1 drop every 4-5 seconds. Will test PH every 2 hours once I begin and Kh.
My readings now are :
Ca: 400 +-
Kh: 8
Mg: unknown
Ph: 7.7

Any thoughts and advise before I begin?

Before you start adding Kalk, get your MG levels tested, MG is vital as it is one of the core elements to keeping CA and KH in balance, also a very low MG level can cause your ph to reduce. Apart from that I see no issue with the way you want to dose kalk. It's popular to drip it overnight as PH reduces at night as well.

Before you start adding Kalk, get your MG levels tested, MG is vital as it is one of the core elements to keeping CA and KH in balance, also a very low MG level can cause your ph to reduce. Apart from that I see no issue with the way you want to dose kalk. It's popular to drip it overnight as PH reduces at night as well.

Update: got Mg test.
Ca: 400
Mg: 1400ppm
Kh: 6.4 (tested twice, quite low)

Since my Alk is powered, should I first buffer up my Alk before starting with Kalkwasser, or will the kalk raise my Alk?

INMO I dont think its the end of the world....its not that low....what is important is that whatever your levels are that they remain stable. Once you start dripping the kalk it should the stay stable depending on your tanks consumption.

Buffer if you feel up to it, but not going to ruin your tank.

I mixed up my Kalk mixture last night (i.e. 2 teaspoons to 4L), this morning, its still cloudy. Is this fine?

It must settle 1st. so you have a layer of sediment at the bottom and almost clear saturated mixture that you then pour off into a new container that you can then start to drip into your tank.

You will never dissolve all the kalk powder into your mixture. Dont use the sediment layer just chuck it.

Last edited:
It must settle 1st. so you have a layer of sediment at the bottom and almost clear saturated mixture that you then pour off into a new container that you can then start to drip into your tank.

You will never dissolve all the kalk powder into your mixture. Dont use the sediment layer just chuck it.

Okay cool Thanks. Its okay if the saturated liquid isn't 100% clear though? There was a crust on top which I broke and it feel to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom