Kalkwasser by hand help

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by lanzo, 19 Mar 2008.

1. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

hey guys

i don't have the money now for a kalkstirrer, i'm going to save up for one.
    I want to add kalkwasser to my tank manually, how do this.

Some of the stuff that i know about kalkwasser, but not that much:
    *Brings KH up
    *buffer PH
    *helps with phos problems
    * can raise Ca but isn't really a additive to add to bring up ca(rather use a calsuim chloride based product

Likefish told me that i can try this(plz tell me if this will work):

-5ml kalkwasser with 200ml of ro water mix good and let it stand for 15min, then throw in slowly(sump)

i plz need some help with this i really want to use this rather than my "pharmaceuticals ph buffer 8.2)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Thread Starter Sponsor

how many times a week do i need to do this?
    my dt is 250L and sump 50-80l, in total 300L

4. lanzo

plz guys i need some help on this

5. lanzo

hallo:whistling:
    plz help?

6. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

sorry i cant help you
    if that helps?;)

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Lanzo -

How many times and how much depends completely on what you are keeping, what you want to achieve, and what actually you want to use kalkwasser for.

If you have a lot of corals, that is actually using up calcium, then I would say multiple times per week. Alan subscribes to, and believes in to add daily, much smaller amounts, instead of once per week.

I add 4-5 times a week. I don't have THAT many corals, though. I check my pH once a week. IF you do decide to do this, then you should check your pH regularly. As you also already said, kalkwasser does increase pH.

I add +-15-20mg of calcium hydroxide to white spirit vinegar, and then afterwards add the mix to 2litres of RO water. I then add +-50-70ml of this mix to my tank 4 to 5 times per week....

8. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

The kalk slurry method raises ca to any level you need. The problem with this method is it has to be done slowly and the ca levels must be tested almost daily until you find what your tank uses. I add 2tsp kalk mixed with 3 tsp white vinegar and then added to a cup of cold ro water, poured directly into the display infront of a strong power head. taking about 30 sec to decant the mixture. Please remember this is in 2000L of sea water with a fairly high calcium demand.

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Lanzo, all my top up water is buffered with Calcuim Hydroxide and my other additives.

I use 10ml per 15L, but then I don't have hectic calcuim consumption. Keeps my Kh at 11.

I have a 400L display

10. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

I am testing dolomite as a substitue, since it contains magnesium and calsuim.

I have a little 50 L tank with a DSB and an over head bio filter. In there is a few pieces of Halimeda algae. These are supposed to be sensitive to stuff like calcuim for growth.

They are growing at the rate of like 2 or three new blades a day!

Maybe a nice cheap additive with good benifits.

11. lanzo

o.k i only have 2lps's and 2 sps's and aolt of soft coral and a lot of coraline algae.

What i'm doing now is:
    # i fill drum(25l) with ro water connected to auto top up, i through 1 TSP of pharmasitcials PH buffer in the ro water to raise my kh and buffer my ph.
    this maintains my PH and KH for a week in my DT

i don't add any ca additives

12. Warr7207

Warr7207

Where is your coralline getting Ca from ?

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Lanzo - this buffer you are using - is this calcium carbonate by chance? The actual chemical composition? I know that most pH buffers are some form of calcium carbonate or sodium carbonate/bicarbonate....

14. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

lanzo, go to our links section

look under the DIY section, you will see a link to a DIY kalk dripper there.

15. lanzo

i only do normal WC every 2nd week, and i had a little bottle of Red sea Ca additive that i squirted in.
    this is the stuff that i use but it is R200 a bottle and i want to try kalkwasser now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. lanzo

thanks viper will tjek it out.

17. lanzo

Is Calcuim Hydroxide = kalkwasser?

O.k i only have 2lps's and 2 sps's and aolt of soft coral and a lot of coraline algae.

What i'm doing now is:
    # i fill drum(25l) with ro water connected to auto top up, i through 1 TSP of pharmasitcials PH buffer in the ro water to raise my kh and buffer my ph.
    this maintains my PH and KH for a week in my DT

So must i add 8ml of kalkwasser to my autotop up water and leave it per week, or must i make a dripper and drip 8ml of kalkwasser with 1-2L of ro water?

Is the 8ml kalkwasser with ro water mixed,or only the powder,because i have the powder kalkwasser?

I geused that i must use 8ml don't know really?

18. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

ok a bit off topic here.i have kalk stirrer so dont dose it manually.i dose every second to third day 0.5L RO water with 2 teaspoons of sodium bicarb and 1 teaspoon epsom salts and add to my tank in a high flow area.
    keeps my kh stable at 9
    and mg at 1350
    reason im dosing manually is coz my carx is currently disconnected

19. sunburst

sunburst

Kalk is a balanced form of calcium alkalinity dosing, and the most popular method of raising these very important parameters.

There are many ways of achieving optimum calcium and alkalinity levels. However the one that gets my vote is the easiest maintenance free option.

Kalk reactors are a waste of money and not necessary.

A saturated kalk solution is achieved by adding approx 11 teaspoons per 25 litres. This however is not advisable, as the resulting mixture is is very alkaline and dosing a small system or giving a big dose can cause unacceptable pH spikes.

Pros
    The beauty of this method is that dosage to your tank is constant....
    Can be easily increased or decreased depending on demand (monitoring in the beginning important.) ....
    You can go away on holiday and not worry about stability and giving someone else the burden of dosing.....
    No expensive equipment needed...
    And best of all its simple and pretty much maintenance free....
    By using a fan you can increase evaporation allowing you to increase these parameters slowly.

Cons
    Float switches can stick, flooding your house, and overdosing fresh water. Solution.. ...Raise your pump to the level that would normally be dosed daily. Use a peg on the side of the ro drum to do this. Every morning drop the pump to the anticipated dosage volume.
    Keep the water level of your ro drum below the water level of your sump. Sometimes logistically difficult. ...(bonus kalk stirrer)
    Space...(bonus kalk stirrer)...

20. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Okay let me see where to start.
    With Kalkwasser[calcium Hydroxide] the traditional method was to mix a spoon or 2 into 10 or so litres of water and let it stand for a few hours and then drip it into the system. This method has a major flow and that is the CA solution added was rather weak and did not do much for the amount of CA in the system. It did how ever help maintain PH during the low cycle esp at night if dripped at night, great to use with a calcium reactor. Another downside to this was it was totally dependant on the amount of evaporation in the system as to how much you could drip in, never enough in high demand systems.
    Then the kalk stirrer made an appearance which actually works by keeping more calcium hydroxide by their constant stirring motion in solution when it dumps the solution into the system. It works as the auto top up where kalkwasser is used as you top up water. Again it is dependant on the amount of evaporation in your system. Another draw back to this system is if you do have a small flood or system overflow some where you could end up overdosing the system on kalkwasser and wipe out your tank.
    Although dosing the slurry method of kalk is the most efficient way of dosing kalk and can raise both ph and ca levels to where ever you want them, it is the method that must be used with extreme caution. Using this method it is very easy to overdose the system and drive the ph way to high and end up with a snow storm. When going with the slurry start off very slowly and keep a constant check on ph and ca levels, but once you have the hang of it, it is really easy and is definitely the cheapest way to supplement ca in a system. My ca additions for a 2000L+ high demand system is about R30.00 per month.

21. lanzo

thanks for the info.
    this is very scary for me but i really want to try this kalkwasser.

sunburst- so tell me that what I'm going to try now is correct plz:
    #I'll fill a drum full of ro water(25L) then i add 11teaspoons of kalkwasser to the ro water, then i'll shake the drum, and add my auto-top up pump(the pump must probably suck the upper layer of water, because the kalk will "sak", and if it suck the bottem of the water it will be bad right?)
    and every morning i then shake the bottle again???

I'm really lost with this one guys, i'm scared that i'm going to do this wrong and then loose all my livestock

And i read something about after one has added kalk to top up and the rest that stays behind should be mixed with 2 tsp of vinegar and then rinsed out, and then make a new drum of ro water with kalk.(it has something to do with Caco)

Recent Posts