Kalkwasser and Kalk Stirrer

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by HOT SAUCE, 22 Jun 2014.

1. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi all

I have just build a kalk stirrer using some very basic components.. but that's for another thread.
    I would like to know if there are any rules one should follow when using a kalk stirrer. for example...

-how much kalkwasser is added to the stirrer?
    -how often do we top up and how do we know its time to top up?
    -is it necessary to sometimes siphon the kalk out of the stirrer and replace with new one?
    -how often should the stirrer mix the kalk and for how long?
    -is it better to run the kalk stirrer only at night to prevent the pH from going too high during the day.. and at the same time to keep it in balance during the night?
    -is it possible to overdose the system when using kalk stirrer?

there are probably other important questions that I can't think of right now but any tips are appreciated.

:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Best to connect up to yout atu

Last edited: 22 Jun 2014
  4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

thanks Ivan for the answers... I have some more question... does the water in the stirrer ever go totally clear? or does that depend on how often the kalk is being stirred?

oh and 2tsp ... is that table or tea spoons :)

besides the evaporation rate does the tank size and alkalinity uptake by the system play a role in how much kalk is added to the stirrer?

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

The water added to the tank will not be 100% clear, but it mustn't be milky.
    The amount of Kalk you add will depend on evaporation. Winter months in Gauteng are drier, so more evaporation. This means you would most likely add less kalk to the stirrer to keep your Alk levels lower in the tank. You need to test more frequently. Fortunately Alk tests are not complicated like K or I tests.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2014
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Does yours work with a electrical motor on top? Or dependent on a pump to stir the kalk?

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

@RiaanP I used a microwave motor.. the one that turns the plate.. 6rpm and its 220V which makes it very easy to connect since it doesn't need DC adapters and stuff. I'll make a build thread later with some pics.. for now just testing without having it connected to the system

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

OK, just do not put too much kalk in the reactor. If too heavy it can burn out the motor. Not too sure on the microwave motor, but it can happen to the stepper motors that they normally use. Especially if the unit was switched off for a couple of hours and the kalk was allowed to settle into a think paste.

9. irie ivan

tsp = teaspoon.

The clearing up of the water is a function of stirring frequency, stirring tempo and water feed rate. It doesn't go completely clear, but as mentioned, should not be milky. Clear with a very slight opaguesness is what you want.

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE Thread Starter

thanks for the help all :)

I've filled the stirrer with ro water and added 3 table spoons of kalk.. its all sitting nicely on the bottom and the water I only slightly misty but definitely not milky like @irie ivan said it should be.. the motor I'm using is quite powerful and I find it impossible to hold it with my hands and try stop it from turning.. it also starts to turn in the opposite direction if it can't move forward from the set go..

I have tried to connect it to my atu bit it seems like the pump is not strong enough. and if I use a non return valve it doesn't work at all. I'll try and find some time tomorrow and start a build thread so maybe there we can discuss some of the mechanics of the reactor..

how long can I keep the kalk and the water in the stirrer until I get the issue of the atu pump and non return valve sorted?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. irie ivan

For a few days, dependant on seal and contact with CO2 in the air.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2014
Recent Posts