Kalkstirrer Info.

trad

Fish, thats the word!
Reaction score
Hi guys

I just got my KR -140 reef octopus kalkstirrer and its a real monster. I'm happy with the way it looks and it seems like it'll hook up to my reef octopus auto-top up really easy. but

Question 1: How do i get the pump for the reactor to run but then not let the auto top up run until the kalk has settled.

Question 2: what kalk should i use, i've used the kent before and was happy with it but is there anything better and what would it cost?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Buy slaked lime (kalkwasser) from your local chemist.

The Reef Octopus kalkreactors do not run 24/7, put the pump on a timer, let it run for about 10 minutes every couple of hours, then put your top-up on a timer as well and let it run when the kalk is off. So......

Timer switches kalk reactor on for 15 minutes, top-up comes on about an hour later (or however long it takes for the kalk to settle), repeat this process every 4 or 5 hours.

Reaction score
Buy slaked lime (kalkwasser) from your local chemist.

The Reef Octopus kalkreactors do not run 24/7, put the pump on a timer, let it run for about 10 minutes every couple of hours, then put your top-up on a timer as well and let it run when the kalk is off. So......

Timer switches kalk reactor on for 15 minutes, top-up comes on about an hour later (or however long it takes for the kalk to settle), repeat this process every 4 or 5 hours.
Wow, sounds like loads of PT. Is it not easy to just dose the RO top-up ?