Kalk

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dylant, 9 Aug 2014.

1. Dylant

Dylant

Hi anyone putting kalk in their ro resivour? Ie using the atu to dose kalk?
    If so can u explain the process?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Not too sure if this would work, as the kalk might settle at the bottom, and could potentially clog up your atu pump..
    But maybe someone knows a shortcut around this

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I use to do this before i got a kalk reactor, make sure the pump is lifted off the bottom where the kalk settles and you will need to mix it up every now and then. You cn also look at the slurry method of adding kalk. I did mine this way so that the kalk would be added slowly. You do run the risk of running the atu dry with this method and kalk powered running through the pump also wears it down faster. if your willing to take these risks you're good to go.

5. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Have been running kalk via atu for years, current little via aqua going on two years and not guven uo the ghosf. It dangles in atu reseevoir, with a clothes peg keeping the power chord pinched to the reservoir, raising pump about 4cm off bottom.
    Just be sure to hVe atu pump on timer, slow drip rate and when mixing kalk, switch atu off for few hours.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Or use a kalk reactor. Put the kalk in there, have the ATU connected to the reactor. Set the ATU to rather run very short intervals multiple times a day. It pushes clean water into the reactor and saturated water out the top into the return chamber.

7. Dylant

Dylant Thread Starter

thanks guys, ill keeping looking into it, just worried about crashing my tank with this stuff.

8. 4age

4age

just wondering...will it be possible to dose kalk saturated water through a dosing pump...like a few ml every few hours?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Not really, but it does sound plausible.

Reason, the volume water needed to be saturated is more than a few ml.
    But best option is to use it via your RO top up, for in case the dosing pump add more water than the evaporation rate.

10. RynoParsons

RynoParsons

Thini the dosing pump can get clogged up

11. irie ivan

Huh.... @RiaanP???
    Saturated is saturated, 0.0000001ml of a saturated solution, is as saturated as 10000000L of a saturated solution.
    Connecting dosing pump to a float switch will ensure the top up amount is equal to the evaporation amount ;).
    A peri pump can clog with overly saturated kalk, doubt if it will with saturated... However, make sure your rubbers can handle the caustic nature of kalk and if there is a buildup, a rinse of the tubing with some ro and vinegar will clear it in no time... Sounds like work though.
    Connect dosing pump pre kalkstirrer is best.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

exactly my point.

doubt if you will ever get the evaporation rate and the dosing pump top up rate equal. Taking winter and summer evaporation rates into account, drafts, fans, and what not else that can influence or change your evaporation rate.

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I used to mix 15ml (three teaspoons) of kalk in 5 litres of RO, let the sediment settle and then drip it slowly into my sump over night. Never had an issue with this, but that was when I only had 300 litres of water to care for. :p

14. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

So whilst kinda on topic --- but not really I have a slightly different question.

After you've added your initial KALK powder to the ATU or Reactor.... when do you add more KALK powder? And do you throw out the residual powder at the bottom?

First time user here....

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Eugene, it all depends on how much evaporation you have. If you are using a CARX then that should supply most of you Ca Hydroxide from your media and your stirrer should only be used to keep your pH in check and supplement any shortfalls. Try and dial in your carx before you add a stirrer. When you have done this you add minimal kalk to your stirrer.
    If you are only using a kalk stirrer I would add about 100ml, test your alk levels after 48 hours, if you it is not at the desired , add a little more. Unfortunately you will need to test to see how much you will need in the stirrer. When that has been established, make a mark on the stirrer.
    Remember, that seasonal changes can influence the amount of evaporation.
    I would clean out your stirrer every couple of months from the slurry that does not get dissolved.

The key is to test often in the beginning so as to gauge your dosing.

16. irie ivan

Adding more kalk to stirrer wont increase alk if evap rate not enough. Saturated is saturated.

Recent Posts