Kalk Stirrer and Calcium Additive

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by amalick, 19 Sep 2010.

1. amalick

amalick

I use my Kalk stirrer in the traditional method, via my auto top of RO water. A quick question, I would like to boost my calcium level with a powdered form of calcium made by Cape Coral care called calcium booster.

The recommended method is to add it to your RO reservoir which would then dose calcium enriched water via auto topup. Will this affect my Kalkstirrer in anyway given that I topup RO via it ?

While I'm at at, does anyone add any additives to their Salt Mix during the aeration period, before adding it to their system, are there any con's to doing this. I ask because perhaps I should dose the calcium into my prepared salt mix before I add it to my system via my weekly water change instead.

PS : I have a CARX but my calcium levels stay just under 400ppm, I suspect my CARX cant cope with my calcium demand given my stocking level

Last edited: 19 Sep 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gaboon

gaboon

Whats your CARX ph set at? If its 6.5, lower it to 6.2-6.3. Whats your drip rate?

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Ashraf, your Ca level is perfect. NSW levels are 380-420 for Ca, I say leave it alone.
    What is your Alk levels?

5. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

1) PH of CARX set to 6.3
    2) Drip rate about 1 drop a second
    3) CO2 Bubble Rate also about 1 bubble per second

6. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Alkalinity is a bit low at 7 Dkh, this I have been battling with for a while since I switched to Aquamedic salt. Been buffing with Seachem Reef Builder Raise Carbonate without success to try and correct it.

I also have PH swings between 7.9 at night and 8.3 during the day probbaly due to low alkalinity.

Also I have a surge device which goes off at night (because its noisy) raising the water level in my sump as a result which in turn causes RO to stop toping up via my kalk stirrer thereby also contributing to the PH drop at night.

Its like a chain reaction...

7. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Right, now that I have attempted to answer all those so kind to try and offer me advice, which I really do value what about a response to my orginal question for those in the know ?

8. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

from the little ive read you are topping up "pure" water into your kalk rector in your kalk reactor the water is getting saturated with calcium and every time its topping up it is adding calcium to your tank, but now if you add calcium to the ro reservoir before the time then you are already saturating the water with calcium doing exactly what your kalkstirrer is doing anyway making the kalkstirrer something thats just standing there.

also i think if you put calcium or other additives in your salt ix you might overdose your tank with calcium, but if there is something you lack you can add that to the saltmix and top up with that, stuff like iodine or even amino acids.

just my 2c

9. amalick

amalick Thread Starter

Thanks, you answer on the Kalk stirrer makes the world of sense !. In my stupidity I was using the Kalk Stirrer to buff my PH, but forgot that it was mainly a calcium source as well.

I already dose Iodine, Magnesium, Strontium, Iron etc.. via my dosing stations so as the previous posts suggested - "If it aint broke dont fix it".

I know that a Calcium level of 380-400 ppm is normal, I just thought I would support greater growth with a high calcium level of about 450ppm.

10. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

honestly ive had calcium of 360 from NSW for like 5 months and when i started adding calcium raised it to 450 the corals kept growing the same rate. But that might only be me

11. gaboon

gaboon

Increase your drip rate to 2 a second, that will up your alk and may stabilize your ph at night

Recent Posts