Kalk Reactor as a ATO

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by brentv, 9 Mar 2012.

1. brentv

brentv

Peeps I was wondering...:whistling:

I have never used a Kalkwasser Reactor/stirrer and have always dosed manually!
    I have the oppotunity to get some at an amazing price!:thumbup:

I need 2 questions answered:

1-My large tank has a substantial return compartment sump and my RO top up water for the last 2 years been on a gardena electronic timer that turns the unit on for 10mins twice daily, this have kept my salinity at a constant 1023 and my levels perfect!
    Now can I put the Kalkstirrer in line on this system?:blush:

2-My New cube I'm about to begin building in the next bit I would like to know can I actually use a large kalk reactor 665H x 155 diameter as my ATO? by filling it every few days .. or does it need constant feed? Maybe standing a 25L bucket next to it?:blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm using a Kalk reactor. When the ATU switches on, it pumps from the RO container into the Kalk Reactor. And use Slake lime from pharmacy.

But the trick. You cannot allow the slake lime to enter the sump. Only the saturated clear liquid. Will see the powder collecting at the bottom. And you got this circulating pump sucking in at halfway blowing in at the bottom. When this pump switch on, it blows the powder up. Like a cloud. This cloud should never reach the top of the reactor chamber. Normally the new water entering the chamber pushes the "clear" water at the very top out. So you will only get the water into your system that is truly saturated. And not undissolved powder.

Also because the powder is very abrasive, you do not want it to enter the circulation pump. Else the rotor and pump housing will not last.

My setup, the ATU switch on both the pump in the RO container and the reactor circulation pump. It is set up very sensitive. Before this cloud reach halfway up, the top limit switch is reached. So each fill up is less than a minute. I top up about 18L per day so the unit switches on multiple times during the day.

Running like that now for over 2 years.

So no, your 10 minute fill up will result in you blowing in the undissolved powder settlement.

If your reactor empties into the return chamber, your return pump will pick it up and blow that white powder into your display. Settling on your corals and live rock. It does affect your PH, so yes it will hurt your corals directly.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  4. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Chatted to Yuri yesterday, he reckons I should rather invest in a dosing pump and computer ( was gonna get a controller comp any way) this will keep All my additives coming into the tank in a more controllable way!!!
    Gotta work out what dosing pump I'll need for all additives??

Recent Posts