Kalk in ATO

Reaction score
How many of you guys are adding kalk in your ATO?
I'm getting tired of adding 7 spoons of kh buffer and 5 spoons of Ca every day.

Through my kalk stirrer. There are easier options. I have seen some people have kalk in the reservoir with a small pump to stir up kalk every few hours. You can't add the powder directly as this will cause problems, particularly with Mg.

That is alot of buffer and calcium! There is no ways that topping up with KH in the RO water will be able to compare with that.
For those sorts of levels youll be better off looking into a calcium reactor.

I am getting 15L of evap a day. So wont it be enough adding it through the ATO?

am getting 15L of evap a day. So wont it be enough adding it through the ATO?

How big is your tank?
Problem i found when topping up with KALK is that evaporation rate changes almost daily so i spent more time monitoring KH/Ca than when i dosed it manually. The top up also couldnt keep up with sonsumption

How big is your tank?
Problem i found when topping up with KALK is that evaporation rate changes almost daily so i spent more time monitoring KH/Ca than when i dosed it manually. The top up also couldnt keep up with sonsumption

+-1500 liter
My evap has been constant for over 2 months. Well might be a couple of ml variance, but not allot different

Tank is fairly new(Around 4 months) but adding around R2k of additives a month is a bit mal if you know what I'm saying.

but adding around R2k of additives a month is a bit mal if you know what I'm saying.

That is crazy!!! Depending what you plan on keeping, id definitely look into calcium reactor then. Or DIY additive route
Guess no harm in trying the KALK topup for a while and seeing how it goes.

Will give the kalk a go and see what happens. Well at least a lot cheaper so dont have allot to lose.
Dont have allot of corals now, just a couple of softies and some LPS.

Ok here is a question. Have anyone tried "pickling lime" directly from the grocery store.
I hear it's exactly the same as the kalk you buy at the lfs, just a way lot cheaper because it's not branded.

How much of your CA kh is precipitating? 7 and 5 spoons seems to be a little excessive. Not saying it is a bad way of doing it. Maybe a little inefficient.

None. I mix the 7 spoons of kh buffer with RO water and add it to the sump immediately. It's not standing around. Same with the Ca. Well started with Kalk to the ATO last night so will see if that will help

Ok even with Max mix of kalk Kh and Ca is still dropping.

Would a new tank with lots of dry rock consume that much Ca and Kh? Surly cannot be the corals

The solubility of KALK is sop low, even though you adding 15 litres top up water you arent adding much calcium/KH
Can you post a pic of your tank?
Unless the calcium is somehow precipitating, then the only thing that will deplete it are skeleton forming corals and coralline algae.

How would that happen and how can I prevent it.
Think I can mix like 2 spoons kalk with like 200ml water and add it directly to the display where there is high flow?

Have you seen any precipitate in your tank? Maybe some white powder lying in the sump somewhere?
After looking at your pics, it doesnt seem right for your tank to consume so much calcium and KH

Well there is dust lying around, but that was from adding more sand to the dsb. On the return pumps there is some white. Those pics are old though. The corals are more than double the size now. How can I stop the precipitate?

Also, my sand sticks together like it's making it's own rocks. I do break that down often

Back
Top Bottom