Kalk & Carbon

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Quintonv, 22 Jul 2011.

1. Quintonv

Quintonv

Hey Guys

A quick question,

I have started dosing kalk in my tank (with vinegar) method, i have also been dosing vodka for the past few months, should i continue with vodka dosing still?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

what do you want to achieve?

Vodka and Kalk "dosing" have different purposes.....vodka to feed the bacteria in your tank causing a greater population, which in turn helps reduces nitrate and Phosphate and the Kalk to raise you KH-Calcium (I think) so they have no real relation to one another.....

What are your paramaters now what do you want them to be? If you know what you want them to be then its an easy one....

Last edited: 22 Jul 2011
  4. Tremayn

Tremayn

I have also thought about this. I think what he is asking is because vinegar is also a carbon source, should he still dose vodka as then he will be dosing vodka and vinegar. Should he cut back on the vodka? Think thats what he was asking :) .. if not then thats something else to think about

5. pXius

pXius

I think vodka and vinegar could lead to a bacterial bloom if dosed together... unless you maybe cut back on the amount of vodka you dose.

My 2c

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

Yes it could lead to a bloom if you use a lot of vodka and the addition of the vinegar will be too much. I think if you cut back on the vodka then it will be cool because when carbon dosing its better to use a mixture of vodka, sugar and vinegar as certain strains of bacteria will use vodka, sugar or vinegar .. Or so I have read :)

7. Quintonv

Quintonv Thread Starter

That was exactly what i was thinking, Vodka and Vinegar is a carbon source.

8. Braco

Braco

What are the specific measurement to dose Vodka to a tank..i heard such a lot of different measurement ratio's i am confused...i have been told 1ml for the first week..and then gradually build it up to 5ml over a period of 2 weeks...and then 10ml once a week..can someone please advise me on the correct dosage.

Recent Posts