Juwel skimmer

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by denrzn, 11 Apr 2013.

1. denrzn

denrzn

Hi guys

I added my canister filter to my 260lt tank and my skimmer is throwing out millions of tiny bubbles,

I have the standard juwel filteration and now i added the canister,

I also used a little white vinger today to kill two antapsia could this be the cause...

it used to be like this when I first started the tank and then it stopped and now it starts again

Any ideas???

Last edited: 11 Apr 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nope

What do you mean with the bubbles thrown out. As in escaping the skimmer entering the system?

4. denrzn

denrzn Thread Starter

i mean that there are millions of bubbles that are coming out from the skimmer, not from the cup thats fine all the bubbles are being traped in the cup.

these bubles are comming out from the actual skimmer unit

5. Mohummud

Mohummud

if you have the Juwel protein skimmer (attached to the left hand side of the tank), confirm whether the bubbles are coming out from the "vent" at the bottom of the skimmer or near the surface - where the cup meets the chamber

FYI... ive had a similar problem before, it requires a bit of DIY to rectify. Nothing too serious

6. denrzn

denrzn Thread Starter

Yes it's the skimmer that fits on the left,

The bubbles is coming out from the bottom vent and when I close that to adjust the water level it starts coming out from the top

Will this ever stop

7. Mohummud

Mohummud

Yes the bubbles will stop escaping from the bottom of the skimmer vent.

ok, what has happened is that the 'blue\green' sponge inside the skimmer chamber has been dislodged. What you need to do is dismantle the skimmer chamber and reset the sponge

Take out the skimmer cup and then take out the first 'fitting' - attachment of the skimmer box onto cup attachment. when this is opened, it will expose the skimmer motor etc.
    remove this as well

Then take out the blue sponge which would have been forced upwards. give it a rinse and then place it back down inside the skimmer. It needs to sit at the bottom of the skimmer chamber resting on the bottom plate.

Then put the pieces back. this should resolve the bubbles coming out from the bottom

PS.. the protein skimmer would have come with an instruction manual for removing the skimmer moter for cleaning the impeller. use the guidelines in there to help in removing the motor

8. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

Hey guys, I am having the same problem with my protien skimmer, will the micro bubble go away in time? As I have checked the sponge and it. Is in the correct position. Does it just need time to set in? @Mohummud

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Mohummud

Mohummud

@Chris Makings
    We need to first establish where the bubbles are coming out from. is it escaping from cup section, or the bottom vent?

10. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

@Mohummud it is coming from the bottom vent, the skimmer has. Only been running for about 3 days now and is skimming properly but the only problem is the micro bubbles

11. Mohummud

Mohummud

@Chris Makings
    If you're certain that it is coming out from the bottom, then i would do the following :
    it is very likely that the blue sponge sitting inside the skimmer has dislodged itself again. I know that you say that you've checked, but remember, that when you put the sponge into the chamber and then slide the motor unit back into the chamber, there is a possibility that the sponge has dislodged again.
    What I have done to prevent this from happening is to place nice piece of LiveRock on top of the sponge. In that way the sponge wont move out of position. Let me know how it pans out

12. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

@Mohummud, will try that, can I use a pebble instead? As the live rock I have. Is huge and won't fit into the canister? Is it not because the skimmer is new that the bubble are coming out the bottom? I know the skimmer is brand new? Also am I right in saying that the blue sponge goes. On top of the egg crate that is inside? The last time I pulled my motor out the sponge. Did not. Float to the top, I had to did. For it, would it still be dislodge if. I had to dig for it?

13. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

@Mohummud, will try that, can I use a pebble instead? As the live rock I have. Is huge and won't fit into the canister? Is it not because the skimmer is new that the bubble are coming out the bottom? I know the skimmer is brand new? Also am I right in saying that the blue sponge goes. On top of the egg crate that is inside? The last time I pulled my motor out the sponge. Did not. Float to the top, I had to did. For it, would it still be dislodge if. I had to dig for it?

14. Mohummud

Mohummud

@Chris Makings
    I don't think that the bubbles coming out because the skimmer is new. It is 'good' that there are bubbles, which means that the skimmer motor is working and doing its job. The problem is that the bubbles are suppose to be trapped in the chamber and rise upwards instead of finding the bottom escape route. You can use something else that is dense \ heavy to put on top of the sponge - but please remember to use something that is 'tank compatible' - if you are going to use a pebble, then as long as it is from your system and has been cycled etc, then go - ahead. Otherwise use another material that is non - toxic to place onto the sponge.

Yes, the blue sponge goes on top of the egg-crate, which must be positioned properly as well. If the egg crate did not fit in snugly, then this could alter the position of the sponge, and affect the escape of the bubbles. With regards to the sponge floating to the top, in my experience, this also does not occur. All that needs to occur is for the sponge to be slightly out of position to create an opening

15. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

@Mohummud, I understand that completly, I will double check when I am home tonight, my other question is the valve that goes on the pump, where the air pipe is attached to do you have it facing up or facing down?

16. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

I do also know that the sponge does not fill the canister, and also the egg crate, there is a bit of movement in there, is it suppose to be like that?

17. Mohummud

Mohummud

yes, but to limit the movement of both of it, you need to put something heavy on top

18. Mohummud

Mohummud

I'm not sure which valve you are referring to. If you can take a picture, later, and upload, then I will confitm

19. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

Thanks mohummud, one last question, I was going to use the white garden peppbles to put on top, would that be alright or should I try find something else for now?

20. Chris Makings

Chris Makings

The valve where the bubbles come out from, that goes on top of the pump.

21. Mohummud

Mohummud

Bad idea. especially since you don't know what it has been exposed to, white -> indicating paint, potential tank crash material. I would stay away. Rather go to LFS and get a 'small' piece of LR

Recent Posts