Juvenile Hippo Tang

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by TheGrove, 26 Jun 2013.

1. TheGrove

TheGrove

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to check if what I was doing is correct and if there is anything I could be doing better to help this little guy.

I purchased a 2" Juvenile Hippo Tang from a local LFS, fish was not eating at LFS and looked rather unhappy in the tank so I figured what the hell let me try nurse him back and give him a good home.

Setup a 110L QT tank but only filled it to around 40L, salinity 1.024, temp was at 26, 2000LPH pump with a small piece of pipe facing upwards so it aggitates the surface and creates a small bit of flow around the tank. piece of rock and pvc pipe for a hiding spot. Tank is in complete darkness.

Water changes are done twice daily, ranging from 25% - 40%

Day 1 (saturday) - When I got home from the LFS after about a 20 minute drive the fish looked really bad, practically not breathing or moving, thought he was dead, acclimated him over around 45 minutes and got him in the QT, he just fell to the bottom and lay on his side. dosed QT with prime.

Day 2 (sunday) - Had not moved, just lying on the bottom, very skinny and not looking healthy, dosed 1.5x recommeded of Stress Guard, split in two doses and lifted the temp to 27 and again with prime.

Day 3 (monday) - He was off his side and hiding behind the rock, dosed stress guard and prime same as Day 2, upped temp to 28. placed a piece of garlic soaked nori suspended by fish gut on a small weight, left it for two hours but was untouched.

Day 4 (tuesday) - same dosing as day 2 and 3, came home from work to find him swimming around the QT and didn't seem bothered by me. Tried feeding some brine shrimp and ON Formula 2 but he didnt seem interested. upped temp to 29

Day 5 (wednesday) - Same dosing as day 2 and 3, but he is back behind the rock just chilling, colour looks better but still very very skinny.

Not to keen to add meds, as there does not appear to be any ich so don't want to medicate unless absolutely required.

Sorry for the long write-up also in a rush so may be a few typos :biggrin:, but anything you guys can think of that may help or encourage eating, etc would really appreciate it.

By the way the guy is destined for a 5Ft 600L, and in the next year may become a 6-7FT :yeahdude:

Mrclownynennie likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Tangs are mainly herbivores ... Have you tried nori soaked in some entice or even par boiled peas just like mashed a little to stick onto a rock for him to peck at ... You can even try lettuce but dont leave in tank for too long ...

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Rock with Nori, soak flakes in entice. Try new era grazers, fish love that, get it from jungle aquatics.

5. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

tried nori soaked in fresh garlic, no go.

will pick up some entice today.

6. the fish

the fish

hi do not dose too much on the Prime. try just using stability. Prime is very strong and can become harmful. as long as it is swimming around it is already a good sign. try feeding flakes or pellets. in an LFS they don't feed things like nori say they wont take to it that easily.

7. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

yeah i am careful with the prime, small doses (couple of drops with each water change), but I believe prime helps with the fishes slime coat so may work better than stability, right/wrong?

Do you guys think I should give him another day or two then move him to the DT, hopefully if not eating he may pick at the live rock etc, at least get some nutrition.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2013
  8. the fish

the fish

nope not as far as i know. Prime is for amonia nitrate and nittrite where stability is beneficial bacteria. dosing the 2 together is better though. a few drops is fine. but if you use water from you DT to do changes dosing the prime might be pretty useless if your parameters are already fine.

9. the fish

the fish

you can try this. if you have other tangs that eat the nori he might pick it up from there and start munching on it too. also other foods too.

10. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

Extract from Seachem,

Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime® is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime® will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water.

Was recommended by a local breeder and was told better then stability in a QT as it will better deal with the immediate Ammonia, etc and with the benefit of the slime coat assistance which stability will not do. Stability is better suited for trying to get the cycle going.

11. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Keep in qt till its perfectly healthy and eating properly

12. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

Tank is very understocked, only a single clown , two cleaner shrimp, hermit crab, and a anemone that wont stop eating or growing, lol

Tank is cycled, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, went through the brown algae stage which has come and gone. about 40KG's of high quality live rock.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2013
  13. the fish

the fish

must have missed read the part about the slime coat. but also what 459b said. rather keep it in QT till it is eating. dont want the poor guy to drop in your DT causing havoc with your parameters

14. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

Okay, will keep him locked up :biggrin:

Just really hoping he recovers, thanks for the help so far

15. the fish

the fish

if he went from just lying around to swimming around and color returning again he should be fine. now it just needs to eat. will be holding thumbs that he starts soon. good luck and keep us posted

16. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Have you tried banana?

17. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

No, you reckon that would work? any special feeding instructions or just cut a small piece and leave it near him

18. TheGrove

TheGrove Thread Starter

Okay so, Got home last night, the little guy was just slumped over against the side.

His flesh looked healed but he was not interested in food or moving around.

So I thought, what the hell, I need to do something he needs to eat or he will die. So I took a chance.

Started to acclimate the QT tank with DT tank water, very slowly over night until the two tanks where totally identical. Then this morning I moved him into the DT and hoped for the best, he swam between two rocks and just chilled.

Got home now and he was flat on the substrate not moving, I walked up to the tank and he looked dead, I was rather depressed. Turned the lights on to fish him out and the next minute he pops up and starts swimming around like nothing happened.

He stopped by the two cleaner shrimp and seemed to be quite fond of them, kept going back and chilling by them getting a good clean. He then went to the clown, seems like he was trying to show him whos boss. Lastly he started picking at the live rock.

So I thought what the hell lets try feed him, to my surprise he ate the the Formula two quite happily, then brine shrimp was no problem.

Rather stoked, and hoping the little guy pulls through, just cant believe the difference, hes playing the current, goes next to the clown and flares his fins, the poor clown just hides in the nennie, lol.

Thanks for all the advice though guys :)

19. Marcd50

Marcd50

That's great news, :thumbup:

20. mitchel

mitchel

Well done im sure it make you feel so happy that you saved him

21. Jinx

Jinx

Just for interest regals do lay on their side from time to time and look dead....perfectly normal

Recent Posts