Juta W660 Converter - can I use it?

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by Raven, 1 May 2010.

1. Raven

Raven

Hi,
    Some time ago - just after load shedding started - we bought a Juta W660 converter with a car battery.

It's rated for max 600W output.
    Now - can I use this safely as a backup?

Can I for instance connect a charger to the battery, and the battery to the converter, and plug my 200 W Haila pump in?
    So that the battery will be on charge when we have power, and the pumps will still work?

My knowledge around this is very limited, and is afraid that I'll blow something...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A car battery is not the ideal solution. What you want is a deep cycle battery that is designed for this purpose. Car batteries are designed to deliver high current for a short period of time. They are not supposed to be drained a lot. If you drain them completely they will not last long.

4. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

Ok - but can I then at least use the Converter with a deep cycle battery?

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Cant see why not ... All you need to supply to is 12VDC ... Just that the deep cycle battery will outlast the car batteries lifespan

6. lIghty

lIghty

Raven, does it say "modified" / "simulated" / "square" wave on it, if so then it could cause damage your equipment, its advised to use only "True" sine wave invertors, if it was below about R800 then its probably modified sine...

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If it is anything under R2000 then it is most probably modified. True sine is ridiculously expensive. There are a number of people who do use a modified inverter and they have no issues, but you do stand the chance of damaging the pumps like lighty has said.

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Even if it is a square-wave inverter, it won't kill your pump immediately when it is switched on. You can safely connect the pump to the inverter for a few minutes - then just let it run, and listen to the sound of the pump. If the sound level is greater than normal, and/or if the pump does not operate as normal (less water flow, "shuddering" of the pump, etc.) then I would advise to not use that inverter. If the pump operates normally, then by all means do use the inverter.

Hennie

Recent Posts