Just joined! Hello everyone 60 gal

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Cdose, 19 Jan 2013.

1. Cdose

Cdose

Last edited: 19 Jan 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dillan

Dillan

4. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Hello Cdose, welcome to MASA.
    I recon you were quite eager to start your system. Or they just do things quicker the US!

Nice size tank you got there. How about an FTS, and pic of your filtration.

Have your tank completed the cycling phase?
    Have you checked all your parameters prior to adding the wrasse?

Also, if it is a Halichoeres hortulanus, your system might be too small for it. :( they generally need 125gal tanks...

There are plenty of fish that would look gorgeous in that size tank, eg the flasher wrasse...

Happy reading, and do feel free to ask when in doubt :)

5. LouiseS

LouiseS

masahello

6. GTH

GTH

Hi there and welcome to MASA :thumbup:

7. Rossi

Rossi

welcometomasa

8. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

9. Clowning

Clowning

10. Cdose

Cdose Thread Starter

Hello and thank you. At three weeks all my parameters were exactly what they should be. Since the rock I got was fully cured there really was no waiting after I added the rock. I did read that this Wrasse would be best kept in a 125 gal tank. I went with it for two reasons. One is that I'm not going to have many fish in my tank and since he is only about 5 inches long I thought I could have him for at least a little while. The second reason I picked this Wrasse is he was getting picked on really bad in the Lfs. My wife and I felt bad for him, he was in a tank with little triggers,a bigger really aggressive type of wrasse and some other fish. The checkerboard Wrasse we got is really shy and so far completely none aggressive.

This is only my second saltwater tank and my first in about 6 years. I'm not a complete noob but I'm also no where near a expert. I do lots of reading and asking questions on forums like this one. I appreciate all feedback and input.

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome to MASA

12. Gesiggie

We all have a soft spot for bullied fish, especially if they are adding such color to our systems. :)

Be prepared for the tears when he has to move to a bigger system, or maybe then just upgrade to tank no 3;)

13. Cdose

Cdose Thread Starter

I just realized a joined a South Africa fishtank forum. Thank you everyone for welcoming me. I will be asking lots of questions. More than likely some will be easy ones and some might be good ones. I appreciate everyone's feed back and opinions as it helps shape my tank and what I do. I can also answer some questions to.

14. Cdose

Cdose Thread Starter

What is FTS police? Full tank shot?

15. Cdose

Cdose Thread Starter

Any idea how quickly they grow? I've seen lots of people who have fish like Tangs and Butterfly fish in tanks way to small. I never want to be that person so when the time comes I will definitely find this Wrasse a nice big home. For now though being the only fish in my tank he will be ok. I won't be adding anything for quite some time since I do want to take it slow plus my budget won't allow me to move to fast. I thing slower is better as far as saltwater goes.:peroni:

16. Gesiggie

Agreed on moving slow :)

Could not find any info from a quick search, only states that juveniles are silver/ black, and adults have full color. And if you want to keep more than one, they should be one male to plenty females..

They are predators, and like molluscs, shrimp & urchins.... So he will need meaty suppliments.

But I do love the adult coloring, and the green and yellow will get even more bright with age... I guess he is a teenager at the moment...:)

17. Cdose

Cdose Thread Starter

I did read they can change sex on there own depending on how many they are paired up in groups. I also read quite a few threads about them really only messing with snails. Seems like people have had good luck with this particular wrasse not really going after things in the tank. I think if something is really hungry it will eat whatever it can but if its fed well they don't mess with things in the tank as much. With that said though there natural diet is frustrations and shrimps like you said. Since I only have the live rock and two shrimp I don't have much to go by as far as observation. He has been really mellow so far and he appears to be very shy. He hides in the sand to which is kinda funny.

18. Cdose

Cdose Thread Starter

Crustations not frustrations lol

19. Gesiggie

:p

The important thing is that he is healthy, and thus far it looks like it...

What else do you plan to keep in your system ? (As soon as budget allows :) )

20. Cdose

Cdose Thread Starter

I have to be honest I'm not totally sure about that. What i would like is a tank roughly 60% reef and 40% fish. I just want a few smaller non aggressive fish and I hope to have a clown with a anemone as the center piece of that. I want to have plenty of corals and things like that but I will be adding those pieces very slow. I love critters as well and want to see my live rock crawling with plenty of crabs,a few stars,shrimps etc. it is a slow process and I'm sure the things I want or do will change as time goes on. My last tank was a 55 gal and I had aggressive fish. I had a snowflake eel and a trigger in that tank. It was fun but I couldn't put much else in there unless it was also aggressive. I want my new tank to be a nice happy community tank.

21. Cdose

Cdose Thread Starter

Even though I live next to a ocean there's only two Lfs in my area and the types of fish available here are very limited. So my options will be somewhat limited.

Recent Posts