Just gettin Started

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Rubenvm, 11 Nov 2011.

1. Rubenvm

Rubenvm

Howzit Guys,

Got myself a BOYU TL550 yesterday, the guy that I bought it from helped me alot in the sense that he added in a better protein skimmer and he modified the pump (aparantly the skimmer and pump were not that great as a standard spec)

Its my 1st time with a marine tank and its always been a dream to have 1. I know its major work and people are frightened off @ how expensive it gets but if I want it then I gotta jump in and learn!

This is what I am going to do next, put water in the tank (going to get the premixed water) with the sand and get it up to the corret temperature. Then I will add live rock for about a month and then add a pair of clowns.

I plan on taking it easy and slow with this hobby, so maybe just about 4 or 5 fish total, with some coral.

Is my beginning proccess correct so far?

Lastly, the BOYU 550 has 2 big buttons on the roof for the lights, I know that the right side button is for the regular light. My issue is the left side button, when I push the button I see a small blue dot where the bulbs are, its like a circular dot, bout the size of a 5Rand coin...very weird!!Is this maybe moonlight viewing or what????

Thanx Guys for all your help, please dont leave comments too complicated. Like I said Im VERY new to marine. Peace:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome! Congrats on getting your new tank. Those Boyu tanks are nice and many people started off eith them..

So far your plan seems good. Remember that yo can only use RO water and not normal tap water for mixing salt and top ups. It will be fine to buy pre mixed water for now. You have to test your water for No3 and ammonia to see if its safe to add fish and that your tank cycled.

Read the beginners sections here and the links in Tobes signature. That will set you on the right track. Best advice for now is to take things slow and read lots here :) .. Have fun

4. Rubenvm

Rubenvm Thread Starter

Thanx Tremayn,

I was planning on getting water from the aquarium caus im a member so I'll get it for free, then test that water (just incase) get all of the tesk kits needed (I do have a few friends that can PHYSICALLY help me) and after being 100% sure my water is cool, then add the clowns.

Another question, wouldnt the premixed water be a better buy than amaking your own, Ive been told that you CANT mix your own water, but I also see that you can buy the salt needed to do so. So obviously you can.

But would the water that I get from the aquarium not be the best?
    I was planning on Buying still water (just regular stillH20) for top ups, obviously salt does not evaporate.

Will keep reading the links (problem is that every1 has different oppinions and it ends up being a debate rather than advise!)

Have a good w.end

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA!
    Your start off process is correct.
    Id say making your own salt water is better than buying premixed. Besides being cheaper, you also have control of how its made. Get yourself a good brand of salt and make sure to mix with RO water. AS for mixed vs natural salt water - thats a long debate and comes down to personal preference and what you plan to keep. If you only keeping fish and easy corals, then there wont be any problems using aquarium water.
    I wouldnt recommend topping up with bought still water. You need to top up with RO water, as this will be free of almost all impurities.

And good to see another person for Durbanville joining.

6. Rubenvm

Rubenvm Thread Starter

459B,

Thank man, too be honest I thought that still water is the same as the RO water. I take it that Elite Aquatics (mt fish place bt im sure you know it)will have RO water.

Thats right, only simple corals for now, untill im abit more clued up on these things you see. baby steps!

Thanks boet!

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome...

8. 459b

Still water and RO are very different. Some still water you buy is made by reverse osmosis, but then they add minerals back into the water. For marine tanks, you want water free of impurities with a TDS close to 0.
    Ive been to Elite a few times, they do have RO.

Rubenvm likes this.
  9. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol who told you this?

Rubenvm likes this.
  10. Rubenvm

Rubenvm Thread Starter

459b,

You the man...thanx bro!The help is much appreciated.

Tremayne,

Its like I told you, when you get the oppinion of like 100people, you wont believe the lies and lack of knowledge. Thats why I come here for guys like you and 459B. will keep posting as things progress!

11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA..sounds like you have the key to a successful Tank already...PATIENCE..!!!:thumbup: So many Newbies struggle a bit with that..:p If you really want to be in our "good books", then post LOTS AND LOTS of PICTURES when you start a THREAD under MEMBERS SET-UP...:lol:..we LOVE pic's...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

12. Rubenvm

Rubenvm Thread Starter

Thanx a bunch Belinda,

Ummmmmm...members set up?I will post plenty pics but I cant find it...HELP?

13. 459b

14. Evo R

Evo R

masahello

15. Tremayn

Tremayn

There are a lot of "experts" out there who give such crap advice. I also hear some weird things lol.. Thank god for masa!

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA. The link Tremayn mentioned is below - Starting a marine tank - enjoy, great info ;)

17. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Great to have you on board, welcome.

18. crispin

crispin

Welcome to masa its great to have u here :)

19. eb.adam

eb.adam

welcome :) i have a TL450 which is a smaller version of your TL550... You're welcome to view my thread and see if it helps :)

Eb

20. Helga

Helga

Hi Rubenvm, A Warm welcome to MASA,

Correct, the button on the left is for the moontlights. I also had a Boyu TL550 for a year. Nice little tanks to start with. I seperated the main display light wires from the moonlights. Kept the moonlights on permanently and added a timer to the main lights. The mainlights were set to go off at a certain time at night leaving the moonlights on during the night. Neat little lights. The tank looked awsome at night!

21. Dlaria

Dlaria

Welcome!

Recent Posts