Just another newbie !!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by jagman, 21 Oct 2008.

1. jagman

jagman

Good morning all !!

Well, almost everyone that my wife and I have spoken to has told us to do some serious investigating before rushing out and getting involved in the Marine Aquriums ! So, here I am. We are both Scuba divers and it is hellishly expensive to go diving all the time so I think it will be a lot less expensive by just setting up our own "little reef" at home, right next to the TV, so that I can watch the rugby while Elly watches her "TV" ! I think that it will also stop a lot of wrestling for the remote too !!! LOL

We are both still doing a lot of reading and looking at all the different types and sizes and, and, and, and............ Does anyone out there have any advice for the two of us ? I am a mechanic by trade and do all of my own DIY, so I am deffinately going to try steering clear of just going out to buy complete setups etc.

PS. Most of the "aqurium" is Elly's idea so I am probably going to have to move my TV and stuff out the lounge to make space for it ! Might just have to build my pub now for me to have some space !!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Jagman! Thanks for joining MASA!

OK - a very good place to start would be to look through our other "New Members" threads. There are MANY new starters in there, asking the exact same questions as you.

You can have a look at pictures of our members' tanks and setups, in this thread.

Things you must consider:
    - what size tank - can your floor handle the weight?
    - tank stand (see tank size/weight)
    - filtration: sump, skimmer, DSB, live rock, mechanical filtration, chemical filtration, biological filtration
    - lighting: for fish only - you don't need major lighting systems - for keeping corals/anemone's, you will have to contend with quite strong lighting (ie quite a few T5 fluorescents, and/or metal halides
    - water flow: in the tank you require huge turbulent/chaotic water flow - for corals - you need even more
    - return pump from sump
    - test kits (water parameters)
    etc....

These are just a few things that you would require to know...

There's another guy in Durbs that have started out recently - his screen-name is ScubaNinja - he also SCUBA dives....
    And then there's Mekaeel, Alan, DragonReef, Thalion, SIMS, Sean Harrison (he has a shop in Durban North somewhere - I believe close to the Makro there - he is also a sponsor on MASA)...... Any of these guys can assist you as well.....

Please remember that a LOT OF PATIENCE is required with this game.... If you do things right the 1st time, the overall cost would not be so bad.....

Also - please feel free to ask as many questions as it takes for you to become a successful reefer.....

Good luck on your journey!

4. crispin

crispin

welcome jagman:)

newbies soon turn into facinated reefers, so your conversion is about to start:)

a small warning, I lost my TV and got a 1.8m slice of ocean, and never looked back even if warr does sell soem great monitors! that tv may not get the same attention tryoing to compete against a beautful tank, and i am sure elly will have a few ideas about making it great:)

If you are good at DIY you really do ahve a huge advantage, making and tinkering with things can improve their efficancy and save you money. But becareful of " penny wise, pound foolish" or re-inventing the wheel. Often that costs more:(

do you have any ideas as to what you would like to see in a tank? LPS, SPS, softies, some huge stunning fish and a morray eel the length of your lounge? Once you know what you like the idea of, you can start looking at the sort of enviromnent those things need. That defines your search with regards to equipment, size of tanks, shape of tanks etc.

when you have an idea as to what you want to achieve, ask on here you'll get some great free advice from guys who just love to see new tanks and succesful marines comming along.

and the more questions you ask the more the guys on here help:)

Welcome to the sharpest learning curve you have ever been on:)

5. crispin

crispin

once again jacquesb beats me to the first welcome with a huge amount of good advice:) you really do a great job in here jacques, your posts are awesum (esp to newbies:))

6. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

Welcome to Marine Aquariums of South Africa. Enjoy your stay here...

7. jagman

jagman Thread Starter

Thanks !!

Well, if I had my way I would take the spare bedroom, brick up the windows and doors, put in some glass sides and "Voila", the biggest tank outside a commercial aquarium !! The scary part is that Elly would probably allow that !

I am looking into what it would involve in building a tank about 2m long, 0.8 wide and 0.8 high. We live in a house so the base and everything would be brick. The floor would definately be strong enough. Visible from both sides and maybe a seperate room to house all the other gear that is involved. If it means building it into the house as a permenant fixture, then so be it !

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

9. jagman

jagman Thread Starter

Thanks Ninja ! Just been looking at your setup. How much further have you got ?

10. crispin

crispin

Likesfish had just that tank.....maybe his was 2.5 though.

its a great idea, mine is 1.8 viewable all sides which is a little difficult to scape and plan but as a room divider nothing beats a marine tank :)

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

That would be an awesome tank size Jagman. The only thing, with a tank 800mm deep, is that you might require more wattage in lighting.

I have 2 tanks. My reef tank is a 2 metre by 700mm high by 700mm deep (front to back). My smaller tank I have for 2 tiger tail sea-horses..... They have to be in a seperate species tank.

Your idea of housing the "engine room" in a seperate room, sounds absolutely awesome!
    Great if you can do this.

Sounds like you want to go full out "garden reef" (some SPS corals, some LPS corals and some soft-corals), and quite a few "reef safe" fish?

Have a look at some of our member's tanks..... perhaps this will give you some more ideas....

You can ask the appropriate questions then too....

12. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Jagman, good luck with your new build.

13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome jagman.

You've got the first issue sorted out - The Wife factor ;) Good to hear that she's as interested in it as you are.

The guys here will give you all the advice and help that you need. Plenty of DIY options as well that can save a bit of money here and there.

14. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

15. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Jagman!

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

oh by the way, you must come to our next reef meeting, on the 30th of this month, you will be able to meet a lot of reefers face to face, i'm a scuba diver myself, will be able to help you out on stuff

17. jagman

jagman Thread Starter

Sounds like a good idea ! Where is the meeting at ?

18. scubaninja

scubaninja

19. JD167

JD167

Hey jagman :welcometomasa1:

Personally, I started small with a 1.2m and built it up from there to a slightly bigger 1.5m. A good learning curve. :smile: Good luck with your setup. Sounds like you have the wifes support so well done!!:thumbup:

20. Surfer Girl

Surfer Girl

Welcome to MASA

21. seank

seank

Warm Welcome to Masa. Read a lot before you start and ask plenty questions;)

Recent Posts