Just a question

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by johannes rall, 31 Mar 2011.

1. johannes rall

johannes rall

I was just wondering guys can one see if the silicone on the tanks going to hold.would hate it if one of the other sides pop afteri fix the tank

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Johannes what is causing concern? is the tank an old one being repaired?

if so what state is the silicone in? can you post a pic? also give us some history on the tank such when it was built/age, glass thickness and how long (if it has) been standing without water, was it in the shade ot sun etc etc

4. johannes rall

johannes rall Thread Starter

Its was standing in a garage for about 3 years.the silicone is still soft and dont look like its dry or cracked i will put the pane back and see what happens.maybe it was just bad luck

5. johannes rall

The glass is 5mm thick and its a 1200x450x450.it was a marine tank before i stored it in garage

6. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

ONLY 5MM?!?!?

I think that's what's causing the tank to leak! The safety of 5mm glass is not very good for anything over a 2ft tank. The glass is probably bending because of the pressure of the water, causing the leak. I would recommend a minimum of 8mm thick glass for a tank that size!

7. johannes rall

it was build by rainbow aqarium and as i said it was running before for some years before i had to stop it

8. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

all standard 4fts(the ones from a petshop) are 5mm. iv got the same sized tank and in the same thickness.

9. Xereo

Xereo

wow thats some dodge glass thickness lol :p

10. maj

maj

how do u tell if the tank needs to be re siliconed?

11. maj

maj

or do u just re silicone a tank after say 10yrs?

12. keyaam

keyaam

If its brittle then i would consider redoing the tank

13. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

it is not the length that is the main size wise contributing factor to glass thickness/tank strength, depth has a far greater effect, 450 will probably only get filled to 400...

So he has a safety factor of 2... from my understanding of safety factors this means he has double the breaking strain.

The recommend safety is 3.8 which would mean the ideal thickness is just under 8mm

@johannes rall
    I would do a simple fill test and leave it for the weekend and see if the silicon leaks.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

personally i would either strip down clean and rebuild the tank or at the very least reseal it.

3 years dry is a long time but thats just my gut feel without seeing pics...

15. johannes rall

thats what I also want to do but i dont have time to rebuild tank so im only going to reseal it by putting a thicker layer of silicone on and fit the popped piece again after i cleaned it and see what happens

16. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

Thats not the best plan... it didnt work for me and it looks terrible rather take your time to rebuild, its not that hard and if you got a buddy to help it shouldnt take more that 3hrs or so in total. If you start right now you can be done before midnight.

17. johannes rall

Ok guys i took erle's advice and took the tank apart.Will clean every thing and try to rebuild it hopefully tomorrow if not it will be monday.1st time i rebuild a tank so im abit worried but think it will be ok

18. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

Good plan,

Just ensure everything is cleaned thoroughly and all old silicon is removed using Stanley blades.
    You can put tape/plastic/newspaper in places that you want to mask to avoid messing on them.

Firstly it really helps to have a buddy around to help hold things
    What I do is put the base down and get a short and long side ready(cleaned taped and siliconed)
    Get about 6-8 pieces of electrical insulation tape ready cut about 30cm.(i like elect tape cause when you stretch it, it pulls the joins together tightly).
    Put a bead of silicon between where you want to join i.e. along the edge(5mm edge in your case) take your time to ensure the bead is even.
    Join the long side to the base and let your bud hold that.
    Take the short side piece and place that on the base at about 30-40deg.
    Rotate it so that the two side edges meet.
    Now use the tape to secure it from the bottom and joined sides.
    Use a piece of firm piece of plastic to smooth the silicon(you can get a silicon scraper smoother type tool at the hardware) or a wet soapy finger can do the trick, it can just get a little messy so make sure you have a means of cleaning your hands nearby, like an old towel or a clean rag.
    If you feeling brave, then you can do the next two sides the same way. Or you can wait an hour till the silicon is dry; if you do wait, make sure there is no hard silicone between the other surfaces you want to join.
    You should wait a minimum of a day before filling the tank with water.

I have used the above technique to build three tanks,
    1 x 1200x600x600(same situation as you…. Old tank that needed to be resealed, I leanrn’t the hard way with this one)
    1 x nano 600x450x450 with a built in 3 part sump for my QT tank and;
    1 x frag tank that is 1000x300x300.
    None of them leaked at all after building.

I might have skipped on some things that I cant think of right now, but i have read it and seams alright... it isn’t rocket science and it will give you even more appreciation for the hobby, it might even encourage you to go and buy some glass and build your own sump/QT or frag tanks.

Recent Posts