Just a question

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by johannes rall, 17 Mar 2011.

1. johannes rall

johannes rall

Hi guyz just a question for intrest sake.while cycleling its just the sand,livertock and water nothing else for 4-6 weeks.Now what about the little critters on the rocks eg.i saw a thing looking like a featherworm(as iknow it) and a "normal" worm what do they feed on?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

All these feather worms, bristle worms, pods, etc live in the live rock and are fairly hardy. They feed on things that might have died in/on the live rock during collection or transport. The feather worms feed on nutrients in the water column and plankton.
    All you need for the cycle is your substrate if you want any as some guys prefer bare bottom. You need your salt water mixed to the right SG and good quality live rock. You can also run a skimmer to remove dissolved organic compounds during the cycle.
    Some guys add a frozen or fresh dead shrimp in the tank to decompose during the cycle. This builds up the bacteria population. Never use live fish to cycle a tank, that is just cruel.
    I suggest you read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - great info on the cycle of a tank as well as the nitrogen cycle. Enjoy ;)

Last edited: 17 Mar 2011
  4. johannes rall

johannes rall Thread Starter

thanks TOBES

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

There's a button under my name for that :p

johannes rall likes this.
Recent Posts