Just A general question?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Allen, 23 Apr 2009.

1. Allen

Allen

Hi to reefers:wave2:

I would just like to know, how do you know if your corals are doing as well as they can?

I know everybody is saying "Look if they are fully open and at their color", but how do you know how big a coral can open and how bright the coral's colors can get?:err:

Even if water quality is perfect/ close to perfect, lighting is optimum and food is abundent, how do you know you are giving the best to your corals?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

You could post pics of the corals here and ask. Otherwise you can compare to corals in other peoples tanks or even LFS tanks.

Eventually with experience etc you will just get the hang of it I guess.

4. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

Thanks!!

But that is just the thing, I've been looking at some of the Great Tanks here and I must say I've seen some awesome corals and mine is incomparable!!

Guess posting a photo or two would be the best to do like you say!

5. martinhal

martinhal

I find that my corals allways look better at home than they did in the LFS. One gets a "feel" for it after a while.

6. Allen

Allen Thread Starter

I can agree more, the coral in the LFS usually looks unnatural and are normally not as open as they can be cause of the transportation or water currents and es.

7. moz

moz

In my opinion the only way to tell if a coral is doing well, is to see if its growing and the rate at which it is growing. The colour may vary according to its environment so the colour of a certain frag doing well in one tank, may be a different colour to a frag from the same coral doing well in a different tank. I'm no expert, but that to me makes sense.

8. Tony

Tony

When one reads about corals and their habits as well as ask questions like you have, one can get a feel for what the coral is doing or "thinking" and whether it's happy or not. POsting a picture always speeds things along and you learn from the answers posted.

9. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I agree with this 100%, your corals should be open during the daylight photo period and they should be growing, if they not growing and just surviving, then they are not happy and in trouble. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the colours except if they bleach.

Recent Posts