Jumping on a plane

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by NFactor, 27 May 2009.

1. NFactor

NFactor

Hi Guys,

Just a thought, as all us capetonians know our waters are generally too cold to collect anything decent from the rock pools.

So was wondering, would it be possible to jump on a plane to warmer waters e.g Durbs, collect a few specimens and jump on a plane back?

The cost of the flight will probably costs you less that what you collect (I think?). Also does anyone know if you would be able to do this i.e. any hoops you need to jump through at the airport for transporation and most importantly the likelyhood of your days effort making it back alive? Would a battery powered airpump be enough to keep things relatively happy until landing? Would temperature be a big problem over the few hours?

Anyways let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
    Neil

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

As far as I know you need a permit to collect that stuff, and you can't collect any hard corals etc.

4. Boendoe

Boendoe

You can get the Permit from the Post office about R70, but getting the stuff on a plane and I don't know if you will have any problems at the airport with transporting live stock.

As Bob said you can't collect hard corals only stuff like Zoa's and Polyps

5. NFactor

NFactor Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi NFactor. You wouldnt hve any hassels getting livestock on a plane. You safe with it :)

7. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Is there so much available in the rockpools that it would pay for a return ticket? Could you collect more than a couple of hundred rands worth of livestock in a day? Maybe some of the North Coast guys can give their input?

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I would only do this, IF you going for a holiday in any case. As you do NOT always get nice fish life on the rockpools, every day.

You could visit the SAME spot for 2 weeks - every day - and only see two or three days worth the effort.....

Not from personal experience, but from what the other guys doing their own collecting told me....

9. zee

zee

So you cant collect...So does Zoa`s and polyps live in durban water?Just asking:whistling:

10. Mekaeel

Yes zee, we got loads of Zoa's in our waters.

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

It would be well worth it if you collected 4 or 5 Gem Tangs

12. IMarine

IMarine

Hey warr i second that, i have heard that there is a mating pair of gems and that there was a guy that collected 8 gems a few years ago,how far the truth in that is,maby Mek can tell us a bit more

13. NFactor

NFactor Thread Starter

Cool thanks Mekaeel

Thanks Jacques thats a good point.

Yeah thats sort of what I was thinking. Go over collect a few softies and try get 1 or 2 of those expensive fish but then very luck of the draw on the day I guess as Jacques meantions.

Also any ideas on the likelyhood of your livestock making it back alive? I'm more worried about temp dropping while in transit.

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

If you do it properly, you should have success. Remember, all the fish you see at the LFS, have flown in from the East, with 12-18 hour flights, excluding customs etc.

15. Mekaeel

Imraan, the Gem's are around, but they are off shore. Dont ask me where? The first and last time I saw a Gem was about 2 years ago when North Pier was still open, right at the tip, but I only caught a glimpse of him for like a few seconds and then he was gone. The surge was hectic out there that day.

16. zee

zee

So lets say Nfactor jumps on this plane, where does he start looking, what coast?:whistling:

I`ve been once to Durban, took me about 12 hour drive from Cape Town (....240km/h):) and seen north beach etc but where to start looking...once you have a permit ofcourse.

17. zee

zee

Which is also why I`m asking...I need a holiday and what better way spending time with the family and stocking up:thumbup:

18. Mekaeel

Areas like Umdloti and Sheffeild are awsome. Sheffield espescially, there's a long stretch of rock pools to go and investigate :)

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Guys - I did exactly just THAT. I brought back some fish from KZN, when I went there about 5 or 6 weeks ago. And yes - the fish survived (well - some died, because of a near accident I was in)...
    I drove there, the fish survived 2 days "on the road".... and about 10 days in the containers when I was there......

So - yes, IF you can find some nice fish, then it is indeed worth it.

And regarding the survival of fish on a plane - that's exactly how I brought my CBB back from Jo'burg, when I was there about 2 weeks ago.......
    Idol Marine packaged my CBB VERY well - put oxygen in the bag..... and my CBB was not even stressed when I took it out of the box, to acclimatize the fish in my tank......

20. zee

zee

Cool thanks!Is it safe there?

21. Mekaeel

It is safe. But for the cars, there has been break in's there before (Sheffield).

Recent Posts