Jumping fish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Jaco Schoeman, 10 Sep 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys,

I have seen many posts and a very recent one of fish jumping out of open top tanks.

Why does fish do this? And what are the most common known fish to do this?

I have an open top tank, so I may need to re-check my fish list.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Jaco could it not be a type of defense mechanism ?

Also do you think they "know" they are not in the ocean, what I mean to say is it might be normal behavior for certain species, but sometimes they might "overshoot" theirintended target

Last edited: 10 Sep 2009
  4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Not sure.

But if fish are 5 meters below the water surface in the ocean, they wouldn't jump for defense - to much "mine-mines" at the surface. Marines would rather hide right?

Could it not be more of an irritation under the skin of some sort?

Hell, don't one of you guys just quickly want to ask your fish why it would want to jump out? :p

5. Furbz

Furbz

the following are prone to jump that i know of

hawkfish
    midas blenny
    actually most blennies

6. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry Jaco posted with you. Hear what you are saying but take a some gamefish for example, they jump to get rid of the irritant and get away.

I really dont know , just guessing but next time my jumping bean goes carpet surfing, i'll have a short interview :)

7. Jaco Schoeman

Furbz, it is strange though as those are bottom dwelling fish right? Again, do they jump when they are 5 meters down a reef barrier? Strange this, and why would they want to jump? I can understand fish like angels, Tangs etc. but blennies? :p

8. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

it's my understanding that fish will jump to get rid off parisits.

9. Jaco Schoeman

Isn't this why we have cleaner shrimp in tanks? Sorry for all the questions, but this confuses me...

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Fish jump when they get a fright of something. Some fish are extremely extremely skittish - and get a fright very easily - for the most stupid of things....

And their "natural response" is to swim upwards as fast as they can..... in the sea, this is not a problem - in our tanks, this ends up with fish jumping either against our lighting units, OR jumping out...

11. Jaco Schoeman

Still very strange that fish would swim up if in danger. Coral swam down towards her eggs on Finding Nemo - :lol:

No but seriously, I would imagine they should duck for hiding. Thanks Jacques - that makes sense.

So we have the Hawkfish and Blennies - any other takers on this behavior patern?

12. Slummies

Slummies

Jaco.. maye they werent quick enought to calculate speed and distance and expected more water, but ended up jumping the tank.

how often do we overreact when we get a fright (i once punched my bro-in-law in the face cos he gave me a skrik)

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Long time ago the goby was cleaning sand at the side of the tank, when my daughter suddenly ran to me to show me something, he got a fright and jumped right out of the tank.
    Up to now he was very healthy and all my parameters test perfect, so he could not have jumped because of parasites or something like that. I had a good look at him last night and he still stole a piece of meat that I wanted to give to the boxing shrimp on a stick.
    Maybe he got a fright from the boxing shrimp during the night :(

14. crispin

crispin

i seriously doubt that its a parasite thing (a more common responce to ecto parasites is to rub against hard surface like LR or substrate, or go to cleaners etc).

I am fairly sure its a fright defence, either from an external source (like tobes daughter running past the tank) or from inside with defence issues. Another strong possibility is external lights above a tank at night. I have heard of fish jumping after headlights from a passing car were above the tank.

Fire fish, many goby's (engeneer in particular) Six line wrasse, dotty backs are all known to do it.

indeed its why i use t5's under a hood rather than MH. well one of the reasons.

15. crispin

crispin

Gamefish very rarely break the waters sutrface due to parasites, if they do jump its almost always due to excess speed when hunting smaller fish at or near the surface.

16. Pads

Pads

Ditto, I had two fire gobies that comitted "sewerage pipe". It think it partly has to do with the fight or flight response to danger. The initial reaction "run/swim" away from the danger. In the wild they may have 10m to do so but in our tanks they simply don't have that space. Why they swim up as opposed to down is a good question? My only explanation might be regarding the position of their bodies before they take off.

17. Furbz

Furbz

yep, lost my normal blenny. found him dried up under my counter

18. Batsec

Batsec

Bala Sharks seems to like jumping allot. I killed two (accidentally) yesterday
    They where jumpers when i got the tank with the two sharks in for free and the tried jumping out of the bucket they were in evertime i opened it.

So at home I set up the tank and due to lack of knowledge i returned the two balas an the buterfly after just 2 hours of filtration. The buterfly is still alive an well but a hour after puting the sharks in the started swiming upside down and the all of a sudden tehy would dash forward. Forward woulsd then be into the roof of the tank or the walls or the floor. well sadly enough they didnt make it nut a valubkle lesson was learnt.

And you can put them on the list of jumpers, my nephew from who i got the tank and all confirm the jumping was normal beaviour.

19. FransSny

FransSny

Thanks for correcting me Crispen...I always thought they didnt like the hook in their mouth :p

20. FransSny

FransSny

Ooops...sorry for the typo..crispin :)

21. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Guys - if you SCUBA dive and watch a lot of Discovery, you would realize that nearly ALL fish have lighter bottom sides than top sides. The fish which does have bright colorations all over (ie. tangs, damsels, butterfly fish, etc), tend to "duck into the coral rock structure" to "hide"......
    The fish with the lighter bottom sides, dart upwards, because their lighter colored under-bodies, camoflages them from being seen from the bottom. Not many fish hunt or look upwards when hunting.... :) (except for some shark species)....

There-for, it is much safer for these fish to be ABOVE their attackers...

Recent Posts