Jumping bean rather aggressive?

Reaction score
I put the jumping bean in on Sunday. Wed I added two clowns and he's quite territorial with them. Is this normal behavior for a jumping bean??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Haha my post gets edited for spelling yet no replies :razz:

Reaction score
They are probably the most agro of the dwarf angels, I had one, sent him packing back to the LFS after a week, he just took over, even fighting with a regal tang twice his size. Would be best to introduce him last to a system, a rather get a small one.

Maybe put the bean in the sump for a while, allowing the clown to make a territory, the bring him back and see how it goes.

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
The clown he was terrorizing didn't make it :( One clown left in the system, not looking good unfortunately!

Well now i'm not too sure what to do if this clown doesn't make it as I only have 4 fish in this 130L tank at the moment. If I have to introduce another clown or an other fish I will probably have to break down the aquascaping completely to try reduce aggression from the jumping bean? *sigh*

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Take it back Matt, perhaps the tank is too small and the angel is stressed, save the rest of your fish.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
mmmmm they are troublesome little fish but beautiful when settled.. i have had many and have always had to put a bigger fish in to intimidate the bean.. good luck

Reaction score
bugger, he's not not bothering my sixline or bicolor blenny (both smaller fish) at all, it must be a territorial thing. I'll move some rocks around tomorrow...

Otherwise maybe I should just have the tank with the 3 fish? Just feels a bit empty

Reaction score
Well the clown (without the mouth infection) didn't make it unfortunately. The jumping bean is leaving the other clown alone (although he's not looking too good).

I think it was typical "new tankmate in my space" aggression so in future if I add any more fish etc I will rearrange my rockwork and leave the lights off for a day or so just to limit possible aggression.

Does this sound like the most viable plan?

Reaction score
Mekaeel: The clown thats still there is the one with the mouth infection, so unfortunately not feeding. I don't give it a good prognosis :(

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the bad luck with clown and the bean. You can always throw into my tank, my coral beauty will cane him into shape, if not my Tomini.

I got myself another dwarf but decided to go with the Cherub rather than the Bean, due to the aggression difference.

Reaction score
Just to ask a question on Angels, I was also planning on putting a jumping bean in my system as I can catch one here in EL, which dwarf angels are less aggresive, would you guys recommend the keyhole angel, or a rusty angel? My tank is around the same size as Matts.

By the way matt, any progress on your tank yet? Howz the aquascaping going?

Reaction score
Lowflyer: I am now tankless! The 130L Nano just wasn't what I wanted in the end, so shut it down. Was thinking of going bigger but with current university constraints and the fact the tank would run for a max of 1.5 - 2 years I thought it wasn't worth going bigger just yet...

Thinking of holding out until i'm finished studying. Then I can REALLY go bigger

Reaction score
That's sad, why? I'm also studying, got another year to go next year then I finish. And trying to learn from my tank as much as possible now and staying small and simple.

Reaction score
Well as soon as I qualify i'm working overseas before setting up a practice in SA, so don't think its worth it setting up a big expensive system just to tear it all down in 2 years?