Juan's AMW102

Reaction score
So, my tank is eventually running and the cycling process has started.
From what I remember with my old tank was this process was very boring :m22:
Anyway, skimmer working well, I had to drop the water level slightly as it was filling the skimmer up with water.
The filtration goes from main tank into skimmer, from there into the filter medium that was given with the tank, into DSB, into Orca bio-cubes with live rock and then into return chamber. Everything seems to be functioning good at this stage.
If anyone has some Chaeto that I could buy off them, it would be great.
As for the tank, I decided on 20KG live sand, I 1st put in a 10KG bag, but I didn't like it, so added another 10KG which seems like a bit over kill but it's exactly what I wanted. Also have about 16KG of live rock in the DT.
Now for some early pics.

Directly after filling with water, debris still everywhere.
image1.jpg

About 2-3 hours later and everything started settling nicely
image2.jpg

Went back to Aquaria this morning to swop my globes for 2x white ones. Also changed some rock around so debris was everywhere again. Will take some updated pics tomorrow when I do my 1st water test.
image3.jpg

Can't wait for the next few weeks to go by, so I can get my CUC

hi juan. i posted on your other thread and only saw this one now. do you run your bio cubes like the bomb methid they show on the leaflet? bio cubes need alot of oxygen to work properly. mine is in my cubes first sump chamber under the skimmer with an airstone.

Water quality getting better each day.
Skimmer was producing a lot of micro bubbles, but they are slowly getting less.

Day 3 of cycling
image6.jpg

My bio-cubes are in the bag. Micro bubbles are definitely coming from the skimmer.
I'm still deciding on what to stock, busy reading up a lot on beginner corals as it will be my first tank with corals.
Not so many fish going in, maybe 3 or 4

The hurdle I must overcome now is the temps.
Currently it's sitting at 29.7 :eek:
The closed hood and small volume of the tank is not helping.
I was thinking of getting an LED unit and removing the lid

Hello Juan, its LB...

thank you for taking the advice on the rings and going with the cubes instead :thumbup:

temps are gonna be crazy with your lights built into that hood. PC fans should be an easy fix but the overhead LED units look awesome.

good luck, will be following your progress bud

Shot LB.
I'll play around with options whilst the tank is cycling to get the temps down.
The live rock is becoming more lively as well, lots of red tubeworms popping out everywhere.

Just wanted to add a few pics.

I'm starting to see a lot of these tube worms coming out.
image7.jpg

Some Aptasia as well, will need to sort this out if it gets worse. I can see about 5 popping out when the lights are off.
image8.jpg

Just a pic of the 4x LED moon lights, they really are nice.
image9.jpg

I would nuke the Aiptasia before it get worse. Just get yourself a insulin needle and nuke them with lemon juice.

i had a few aiptasia when i started the tank out, simply removed the rock and used a solder gun to burn each one of and added a drop of super glue gel to the site and many months on, i'm still aiptasia free.

might sound drastic but i wasnt taking any chances and i'm glad i went that route :) besides, the tank was still cycling and nothing was fixed in place as yet.

you welcom eto collect chaeto whenever you can bud, i'm home after 6pm.
drop me a whatsapp if you need my location - i know the house isnt the easiest to find.

Back
Top Bottom